AdWords
2.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Differing Keyword Search Volume for Same Query

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Myself and a couple coworkers - all using different accounts - are getting the same outrageously high keyword demand for the same queries - however, one of us (who is working remotely) is getting more reasonable numbers. We've checked our settings and everything looks right... but it looks like my numbers are almost like on broad match or match type settings (which doesn't exist anymore). 

Anybody have any idea as to what could be going on? Or heard of anything similar?

Attached is 1) the differing types of demand myself and my coworker with the right demand got, both sets of data pulled this morning on June 13, 2016 and 2) a screenshot of my Adwords account settings. 

my adwords.JPGsearch volume.JPG

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Differing Keyword Search Volume for Same Query

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Leila,

My best guess is that the data you see are, to some extent, customized to the particular accounts' historical performance. That's why I also see somewhat different figures in my own account. (Higher monthly searches and lower suggested bid.)

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Agreed with Lakatos, a well optimized adwords account and with good historical data may suggest lower bids for that specific account as keyword planner needs the loged in account.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Good point from Archit. BTW years ago Google used to offer also a standalone keyword tool that did not ask you to sign in first.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Leila,

Notice how the singular and plural version of the keyword has the same search volume? This was not the case for my keywords 1 month ago but after checking keyword planner today, plurals and singulars have the same search volume. I think (hope) this is a bug. Have contacted our account responsible for feedback.

Best,
Christoffer

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoffer,

We have the same issue. Did you get a reply from your account?

Thanks,

Piet

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
it looks like it is the issue described here: https://inbound.org/discuss/massive-impact-changes-in-google-keyword-planner-close-variants-data
But is it a bug?
Thanks.
Paula

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Piet - not yet, they first said they weren't aware of any changes but we're pushing for answers. Will update here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I posted on MOZ Q&A as well but no confirmation yet what is actually going on.
https://moz.com/community/q/has-the-keyword-planner-search-volume-metric-gone-crazy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Finally got a reply from the Adwords support team:
“there was a recent change in how average monthly searches are calculated in Keyword Planner and it is now expected that search terms that are close variants to each other will show the same aggregated search volumes”