AdWords
2.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Different product lines have same keyword

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We're getting ready to launch two massive digital campaigns for painting tools that target both the professional contractor and the extreme DIY/a pro painter who is just starting out their business. While very similar, the professional and the DIY/entry level painter products are completely separate and have their own websites. The problem we're running into with all of our keyword research is that people search for them in the same ways. So for instance for both products/campaigns the main keyword "paint sprayer" is extremely important.  We've also found that people search for these products very generally and it is hard to hone in on a ton of long-tailed keywords that separate the two campaigns that'll drive click volume.

How do you recommend running the two different campaigns so that they don't compete? Do you run them both with two completely separate sets of messaging so the user knows which one to click knowing that it'll hurt CTR and price will go up? Or do you flight them so they don't compete? Any advice/recs is appreciated. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is hard... I would set 3 campings. One for DIY one for pro painters, and one which covers both for tools and equipment  used by both DIY and professional painters (e.g  "paint sprayer")

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

but they all have the same keyword(s) so i don't understand what i should exactly do?!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You should find keywords that are different, and add negative keywords as necessary.  Otherwise, they will compete. And the wrong ad might be triggered.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’