AdWords
2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Destination Not Working

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've now had three ads disapproved, twice for the same 'reason' - "Destination not working".

But the destination IS working.  I've checked it with Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and it loads just fine.  I've tried it from different computers, on different internet connections, in different locations (not local to me), and it loads fine.

The URL is www.rayfield.net/3cx.  I've also tried www.rayfield.net/3cx/.  Both work fine.

My site is running Joomla with an extension that works along with Joomla's built-in SEO functions, that allows the URLs to be set for better SEO.  For example, the 'article' URL is www.rayfield.net/3cx-phone-system.  But Joomla changes this to allow the URL to be www.rayfield.net/3cx.  Could this be the problem?

I'm really stumped.  And irritated.  Google doesn't give anywhere near enough information to really know what the problem is.  Some more details from them would be really nice.

John Rayfield, Jr.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Destination Not Working

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@John R

Have you tried plugging in http://www.rayfield.net/3cx-phone-system/ as the destination URL?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I just tried setting it that way. We'll see what happens. The "destination" may need to be the actual 'page url', and not the 'menu url'. That's confusing to me, where you can actually have two different urls in Joomla, both going to the same 'page'.

John

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

@John R

I'm not familiar with Joomla, but the /3cx/ should work from what I can see.  The header returns a 200, and that is what tells Adwords it is working.  The /3cx did do a 301, but I don't think you should have gotten a not working error for that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
We'll see what happens next. This is very irritating, since they don't really give enough detail as to what they're seeing that is supposedly -wrong-.

John

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The answer did have to do with the -page- URL.

Joomla sets up multiple URLs, even to get to the same page on a website. It's critical that the -correct- URL is used in ad in Adwords.

So in my case, within the menu system, I have www.rayfield.net/3cx or www.rayfield.net/3cx/ (the extra / at the end of the URL is inserted by Joomla. Either URL works). In my case, these URLs will take a person to a page that is 'advertising' the 3CX IP PBX software. The URL that is shown by the browser to the user, when landing on that page, is www.rayfield.net/3cx/. However, within Joomla, that page also has a URL, which is www.rayfield.net/3cx-ip-pbx. Even though that URL is NOT shown to the user of the website, that IS the one that Adwords 'sees'. I changed the Destination URL to this -page- URL, and they approved the ads.

Hopefully, this might help others who are using Joomla with SEF URLs, who are wanting to use Adwords.

John Rayfield, Jr.