AdWords
2.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Delete Removed Keywords for Google Grants campaign

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In Google Adwords Editor, I uploaded thousands of keywords and then deleted about 90% of them because I made a mistake. But now Editor shows all of the keywords that I deleted in the View List. How can I set up Editor so that the deleted keywords are not shown in either View or in the Left Side Menu? Right now, because Editor shows 65K+ keywords, it very hard to manage. To be clear, I understand that the deleted keywords are not in my account and that they are inactive. I just don't want them to be viewable.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Did you delete them in the web interface, or by some means other than Editor? If so, you need to sync those changes with Editor - use Get Recent Changes (a button in the toolbar at the top).

If you deleted them in Editor and they still show up, then I suspect you haven't actually uploaded the latest round of changes.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Ed B

I think this may be possible by selecting a filter, perhaps status, 'does not include' removed?

Thats how i handle similar i think from memory. 

All the best 

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No, I'm pretty sure that I deleted them in Adwords Editor. But I'll try your suggestion anyway. Can't hurt.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I can't find how to set up filters in Adword Editor. I see Tools >> Refresh/Clear Filters but not a way to set them up.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Also, when I highlight the campaign and try to post the campaigns with the removed keywords, Editor tells me that won't post 15645 keywords. That's the same number of removed keywords.

Then I checked the campaigns online and the campaign that I removed is removed online as well.

Finally, I created a video here: https://www.screencast.com/t/rctujvdDWSej

Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yeah, I was going to try your suggestion but I couldn't even figure out how to create a filter. I shot a quick video here: https://www.screencast.com/t/rctujvdDWSej

Thanks!

Re: Delete Removed Keywords for Google Grants campaign

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Ed B

Great video Smiley Happy

Do you see the magnifying glass shape search icon - if you go here, you can select by 'status =' and check the boxes you want. 

Please ensure on the left hand side, you are on the keyword tab. I believe you were on the KW tab on your video. 

Here is a screenshot of where to look

Please try this Smiley Happy I think this should do what you are looking for 

Screen Shot 2017-01-23 at 01.38.09.png

please let me know

James

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

They all have errors - note the red circle next to each, and the error message "Items within removed ad groups cannot be edited". You have deleted the whole ad group containing these keywords - you cannot now also delete keywords themselves; AdWords doesn't accept any changes within deleted campaigns or ad groups. All you can do is Edit > Select All (Ctrl+A) followed by Edit > Revert changes (Ctrl+Shift+R).

This is not a problem - everything under a deleted ad group is ignored by AdWords. Even though those keywords still sort of exist in your account, they won't in any way affect how ads are actually served.

Now, to avoid clutter in Editor, you may want to hide deleted campaigns and ad groups. Click on the little triangle icon at the top right of account tree. In the menu that shows, check Enabled campaigns and Paused campaigns, but leave Removed campaigns unchecked. And similarly for ad groups.