AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Create a NEW AdWords account or inherit the current one? That's my question

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

As an agency we are constantly creating new accounts for new advertisers and taking control of EXISTING AdWords accounts. However - we are always debating - When should we start from scratch and when should we continue with the existing account - however bad or good the Account is performing. What's your view please?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fogmeister
July 2016

Re: Create a NEW AdWords account or inherit the current one? That's my question

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Fogmeister personally I always prefer to use the existing Account, for several reasons:

#1 - It maintains a record of previous structures/data.  While you can retain access to the previous Account, it's a heck of a lot simpler to work in just one (particularly if comparing raw performance data between two dates).  Whenever I take over an Account, I also like to Label the currently active Campaigns so that the owner can easily switch back to how things were before I took over.

#2 - It's less confusing.  Unless the client needs more than one Account, I think opening a new one (and retaining access to the old one) is just making things more complex than they need to be.

#3 - There's no point.  Worries about previous performance affecting current performance are largely unfounded and the effect (if any) drops off rapidly over time.  Worries about a "messy" structure shouldn't matter with the right views and a good naming/labelling convention.

#4 - You're never at risk of double-serving.  Clients do weird things.  While you may have paused all the Campaigns in the previous Account, at some point Murphy's law will demand that someone in the client company will re-enable one or more of them and suddenly you're breaking policy and/or wondering why your Analytics stats don't match.

For me, keeping the old Account is just simpler.  The only time I'd lean towards a new Account would be if you were dealing with one that came close to the limits for AdWords entities and creating new structures might hit those limits, but they're few and far between.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fogmeister
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Fogmeister personally I always prefer to use the existing Account, for several reasons:

#1 - It maintains a record of previous structures/data.  While you can retain access to the previous Account, it's a heck of a lot simpler to work in just one (particularly if comparing raw performance data between two dates).  Whenever I take over an Account, I also like to Label the currently active Campaigns so that the owner can easily switch back to how things were before I took over.

#2 - It's less confusing.  Unless the client needs more than one Account, I think opening a new one (and retaining access to the old one) is just making things more complex than they need to be.

#3 - There's no point.  Worries about previous performance affecting current performance are largely unfounded and the effect (if any) drops off rapidly over time.  Worries about a "messy" structure shouldn't matter with the right views and a good naming/labelling convention.

#4 - You're never at risk of double-serving.  Clients do weird things.  While you may have paused all the Campaigns in the previous Account, at some point Murphy's law will demand that someone in the client company will re-enable one or more of them and suddenly you're breaking policy and/or wondering why your Analytics stats don't match.

For me, keeping the old Account is just simpler.  The only time I'd lean towards a new Account would be if you were dealing with one that came close to the limits for AdWords entities and creating new structures might hit those limits, but they're few and far between.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cheers Jon!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I appreciate your views - they confirm my approach also Smiley Happy and a BIG thank you for taking time out to help share your view.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I agree with Jon (again!) and unless there are some very convincing arguments to set up a new account I will always prefer to build on the foundations of previous work.

Just having the historical data to look back on in always useful.

What I do make sure to do is remove any users who still have access who have no reason to be there as spite can be a terrible thing...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Stickleback! I appreciate the time you have taken to reply
David