AdWords
6.4K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions from Google Analytics do not get imported to Google AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello AdWords Community!

We are having an issue with our account - we've set up conversion imports from Google Analytics and the accounts are linked correctly, Google Analytics is showing the Conversions, but then under conversions it says "no recent conversions" for our main conversion - another conversion is being properly tracked. Any ideas what might have happened and how it can be fixed?

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thank you,

Christina

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Conversions from Google Analytics do not get imported to Google AdWords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Christina B,

First, I would double check to see if the proper "view" within your Analytics account is the proper view that was imported into Adwords. You can have both your Adwords and Analytics accounts linked successfully but if you were using a specific "view" within Analytics to create your goals then you need to make sure that view is toggled "on" in your "linked account" settings in Adwords. See screenshots below:

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 2.51.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 2.51.30 PM.png

That being said, your imported Analytics goals in Adwords will only trigger a conversion if the conversion occurred directly from a user that CLICKED on your ad and completed the goal. In Analytics, your goals can be triggered by both organic and paid traffic. So it's safe to say that your Analytics Goals (within Analytics UI) should be triggering at a much higher rate then what you see in the Adwords platform.

Hope this helps clarify the tracking discrepancies.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

In the AdWords section of Analytics do you see sessions that roughly correspond to the AdWords clicks?

In Analytics, are goals being assigned to direct or referrer, which suspect should be assigned to google / ppc?

Re: Conversions from Google Analytics do not get imported to Google AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Cameron,

thanks for the clarifications! I doublechecked, the view that has the conversion in GA is also the one linked into AdWords, so that should not be the problem. I also understand that goals completions will only get assigned to AdWords if the goal completion occured after somebody clicked on an ad. 

Maybe the problem lies in the attribution. This is the view I get when looking at Acquisition by channel:

All conversions get attributed to Referral Acquisition Channels.jpg

Looking at Conversion Paths in the Multi-Channel Funnel we see that actually Paid Search is the driver in many of these paths:

conversion paths.jpg

This is the conversion scenario: somebody clicks on an ad, comes to the site and when they log in the next time the site recognizes them as a new user from Paid Search and triggers the conversion/goal completion. 

Our Analyst and I were both assuming that Analytics would automatically pass these conversions back to AdWords as it was involved in the conversion chain, but is this where we were wrong? GA only gives the conversions back to AdWords if the last non-direct conversion was AdWords, not if AdWords was anywhere in the conversion chain. Given our conversion scenario then we'd never see them Smiley Sad

Is there a way to make these visible in AdWords somehow? Maybe applying a "Last AdWords Click" Attribution Model on a view level or something similar? I am not exactly sure if it is possible and how, but maybe you have an idea.

Thanks a lot for your help, it is very much appreciated!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Rob,

thank you for helping with this! I replied to Cameron's message with an iteration, maybe you can have a look. Your help is also very much appreciated!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Christina,

This is a common problem.

If you drill down into the referrals you will see paypal.com, or your own website, or a different payment provider. You need to exclude these as referrers to fix the conversions going forward. 
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034840?hl=en

Note, this only works if you are using the modern, Universal Analytics code, and not legacy one from years ago.