AdWords
3.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Conversions Being Counted Multiple Times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey there!

I have an issue with my adwords account where my conversion numbers are being counted far to many times. When I go to Tools> Conversions and then Webpages, I notice that people are visiting my Thank_You page many times. Some have even visited it over 20 times!

This ultimately messes up my conversion numbers because it is saying many more people bought than actually did. 

I am trying to track product sales. 

Is there a way to make it so that a visit to the thank_you page is only counted one time? And cant be counted multiple times as is occurring now?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip P
July 2016

Re: Conversions Being Counted Multiple Times

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It comes down to your type of business and how the back-end operates (some CMSs show the order-completed page when the business owner looks at the order details, for example, or links to it in the confirmation email). If you are using a thank you page that people see after completing checkout, then "one" would be the appropriate setting. Not many people would complete checkout multiple times in one visit.

I work on hundreds of accounts and I can't think of any where I want to record multiple instances of the same conversion. For me, site activity should be measured in Google Analytics, and the final outcomes recorded as conversions.

And of course, if "every" isn't working for you, then your choices are to change it to "one" or change what the conversion is measuring.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Follow the instructions below and change the setting to "one". It will record a maximum of one conversion per search visitor, which is what you want. Every is the default, but one is the more often the more appropriate option.

Click Count. Select how to count your conversions:
Every: this setting is best for sales, when every conversion likely adds value for your business.
One: this setting is best for leads, such as a sign-up form on your website, when only one conversion per ad click likely adds value for your business.
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095821

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wouldn't this cause problems if the person goes through multiple transactions?

I was always led to believe to use "every" for eCommerce.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip P
July 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It comes down to your type of business and how the back-end operates (some CMSs show the order-completed page when the business owner looks at the order details, for example, or links to it in the confirmation email). If you are using a thank you page that people see after completing checkout, then "one" would be the appropriate setting. Not many people would complete checkout multiple times in one visit.

I work on hundreds of accounts and I can't think of any where I want to record multiple instances of the same conversion. For me, site activity should be measured in Google Analytics, and the final outcomes recorded as conversions.

And of course, if "every" isn't working for you, then your choices are to change it to "one" or change what the conversion is measuring.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
You make some very compelling points!

I will try your suggestion, thank you.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I think you need here the help of a programmer to verify that the code is installed properly and "coherent" with the purchase funnel. Otherwise, as you mentioned you could get a conversion recoded in the wrong step during the funnel.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’