AdWords
2.4K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Competitor draining my account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It has come to my attention that a competitor is clicking on my Ad approximately once a week to drain my account. We have to pay a high bid to maintain the #1 position and he is currently #2. At $15 a click this has come to $75 in the last 30 days. What can I do to stop this?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Competitor draining my account

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
You can block their IP address. If it is only one click a week, it is unlikely they are masking their IP in any way.
Here's the how to:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456098?hl=en-AU

Of course you will need their IP address. This can be found in server logs, or by using a third-party anti-click fraud service (which costs money so probably not worth it for one click per week).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have found his IP address and blocked it. I have realised now that he is doing a lot more than 1 click a week and it costing our business in excess of $100/week. What action can I take against him?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
There is little you can do to recover the money from your competitor. However, you can present the case to Google and see if they will credit your account for this if it can be shown to be click fraud.

Speak to your local office https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1385067?hl=en&authuser=0

The other thing we have found to be quite effective is to call them out. Send them a letter, or better still, get a lawyer to send then a letter with a copy of the logs to show where that have made the clicks with a cease and desist request. Indicate that you will take legal action but also refer them to Google if they do not comply (which could see them permanently suspended fro advertising themselves). That usually does the trick.