AdWords
2.9K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Client needs to turn his Multi Client account into an individual account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Client needs to turn his Multi Client account into an individual account. He only has 1 website associated with his account and would like it to be an individual account.

Is there any documentation on how to do this?

Thanks
2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Re: Client needs to turn his Multi Client account into an individual account

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Kyle

There is no way to turn the MCC account directly into an individual account.

What you would have to do is create a separate email (or use another existing email that isn't linked to any accounts) then go into the individual account (Make sure you aren't at the MCC level) then account setting in the small cogwheel in the top right corner. Once in there you would go to Account Access. Hit the "+ User" and invite that email to the account. Once you verify and grant admin access to the account. You can unlink the individual account from the MCC and log in with that other email.

If the client wants his personal or specific email attached to the account that was formally attached to the MCC, you will have to remove that email from the MCC, if his email is the only email attached to the MCC you will have to create another email and link it to the MCC by following the same steps and re-linking his email to the AdWords account. Or you could try calling google support and getting them to unlink that email from the MCC so you can link it to the individual account.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyle H,

I do not know of any documented process for doing this, as it is not something normally done. 

With that said, this is how you can do it. You have to associate the existing AdWords Manager account & AdWords account with the new email as the admin, then remove access to the existing email and terminate any association or access to AdWords Manager account.

You will want to log out and clear browser cache between steps of use multiple browsers or computers. 

Once the above steps are completed, you can then use new email for dead AdWords Manager account and to add back the existing email as an admin to the actual AdWords account (not the AdWords Manager Account). At this point, your client will only see his one account when he logs in to AdWords.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it only takes 15-20 minutes to complete. Google does not delete Adwords or Manager accounts and AdWords requires every account be associated to at least one email account/user. The steps above satisfies these requirements. 

Kind Regards,

James 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2016

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hey Kyle

There is no way to turn the MCC account directly into an individual account.

What you would have to do is create a separate email (or use another existing email that isn't linked to any accounts) then go into the individual account (Make sure you aren't at the MCC level) then account setting in the small cogwheel in the top right corner. Once in there you would go to Account Access. Hit the "+ User" and invite that email to the account. Once you verify and grant admin access to the account. You can unlink the individual account from the MCC and log in with that other email.

If the client wants his personal or specific email attached to the account that was formally attached to the MCC, you will have to remove that email from the MCC, if his email is the only email attached to the MCC you will have to create another email and link it to the MCC by following the same steps and re-linking his email to the AdWords account. Or you could try calling google support and getting them to unlink that email from the MCC so you can link it to the individual account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply. Is there a way to make sure my client's account
is actually a Multi Client Account?

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Kyle H,

You are welcome. 

If he logs into AdWords and only sees his account dashboard, he does not have a AdWords Manager account. If he logs in and see a listing of accounts and not the dashboard with a graph showing his performance, he has a AdWords Manager account. Further, the address in the web browser will show /mcm/ somewhere in the link versus just https://adwords.google.com/.

Kind Regards,

James 

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Here are a few ways you will be able to tell:
When you log into the email, it should have "Accounts" slightly down from the top of the screen on the left side & has a dashboard with the account instead of his campaign.
If you sign in and it has a big "+ Account" button, it's most likely an MCC account.
Also, MCC's have "mcm" in the URL. Ex https://adwords.google.com/mcm/Mcm?authuser=0&__u=64163

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
a multi-client-account (mca) relates to the merchant-center,
mainly for submitting product-feed data for shopping-ads;
the main page, will show a parent merchant-id and a list
of sub-account names; aggregatordashboard is in the url.

the my-client-center (mcc) -- now manager-account --
relates to advertising; the main page, will show a
manager-id and a list of account numbers and id's;
the letters mcm are usually in the url.

see also
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6139186
https://support.google.com/merchants/answer/188487