AdWords
1.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Click Fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My campaign has been experiencing click fraud since it's inception(Dec 2nd 2016), and I now have all the information pieced together. Our website is a relatively new website(launched Oct 2016), and has basically no organic traffic whatsoever. It is another location for our business in another city in the same state. Very similar websites, and for our existing location we receive a 3-4% CTR reliably.

I first noticed this when our CTR was ~20% and even higher on just one campaign. Our adspend was completely exhausted by the 2nd hour of the campaign. This made me dig deeper. I shut down all the ads, and analyzed what I found. On Mobile devices, our CTR was insane. I used Google Analytics to find that two specific cell phone models made up over 1/3 of our total clicks from the entire account. The devices are an Alcatel 5010X PIXI 4, and an LG VS425PP Optimus Zone 3. In last 30 days, the Optimus Zone 3 makes up more clicks than all of Samsung and Apple devices(iPhone & iPad) combined! The Alcatel made up almost just as many clicks as all iPhones combined.

I decided to fully put together all my logs and screenshots. I turned on the ads today, 2-3-17, for roughly 1 hour. In that hour, we received 8 clicks to the Alcatel and Zone 3 phones from 8 different IP addresses! We also received 0 traffic organically, so the daily raw access log would be clean. That is how I found the IP addresses and tied them to each specific phone. They are also both on AT&T Wireless.

After several calls into Google Adwords support, I feel like no one is really wanting to solve this. I've submitted information to them multiple times, but nothing has been accomplished yet.

Ways to resolve they suggested:

Turning off ads to ALL mobile devices - This is a crazy solution that may work right now, however I would be losing more than 50% of the market.

Block IP addresses - This isn't a good solution either, as they aren't using 1 IP address. They most likely have an app to change their IP address, and are constantly doing it. I can block the Class A Ip address, however that will cut out so many other potential customers....

I have not included my screenshots/logs as they have personal information in them. I would really like to speak to someone who is knowledgeable about click fraud and be able to explain my case and go through the logs with them. It definitely seems adwords phone support is NOT the correct place for this.

Where do I go from here?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Click Fraud

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Marc E

Did you segment by network? I'm curious if these devices were producing clicks from actual Google search or the search network.

Click Fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We actually are only doing ads on Google search now. Previously, search network was enabled, yet almost no clicks were related to that. Total campaign split is 277 Google search and only 5 on search partners.

Click Fraud

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Have you filed a request for investigation with the click fraud team?

Provide ALL information requested;

https://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/ads/adtrafficquality/advertisers/click-investigation-request.html

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Click Fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, to no response though.

Click Fraud

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

The investigation takes a while

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Click Fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Turned off ads from displaying to all mobile devices. Today, 15 clicks in 1 hour caused the campaign to go 25% over it's daily budget. The person trying to fraud my campaign is back at it again...