AdWords
3.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Changing Bid Strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

I'm trying to change my bid strategy, however I'm getting this message:

http://screencast.com/t/Vrx9RiKtC

I have tried to remove the bid strategy from all my ad groups by going to the bid strategy drop down menu and choosing to use the campaign default settings. 

http://screencast.com/t/TOFWb8mATQcw

After I click change I receive the below message:

http://screencast.com/t/mxj0RWUMK

I want to change my bid strategy from Manual to Automated focus on clicks: "AdWords will set my bids to help maximise clicks within my target budget"

I have clean my cache and history.

Please help. 

Thanks, Karen

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

Re: Changing Bid Strategy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Karen,

Have you already applied an automated bid strategy ad adgroups level, as bis strategy at adgroup level will override the campaign bid strategy and if any bid automated bid strategy already applied at adgroup level then this issue may occur.

As one of your screenshot reflects that the bid strategy at adgroup level is responsible for this issue:

bis strategy.jpg

So, either first change the bid strategy at adgroup level as manual and then change the campaign bid strategy as maximise clicks(automated)
or leave the campaign bid strategy as it is and only change the bid strategy at adgroup level/ keyword level(adgroup will override the campaign's and keyword bid strategy will override the adgroup's).

**Maximize clicks can also be applied at keyword level.

Hope it will help. Feel free to post again.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

What type of campaign is this? There are certain kinds of special bids -- for example, product group bids in Shopping campaigns, or managed placement bids in Display campaigns -- that are "sorta bidding strategies" and can confuse the system in this scenario.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It is a basic Search Network all features campaign.

I managed to change to Maximise clicks option. It just let me change while it wasn't letting me change before. Not sure what I did.
http://screencast.com/t/d4NmpWZ4

Is this the same as "Automated focus on clicks: "AdWords will set my bids to help maximise clicks within my target budget" correct?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Yes, they're the exact same strategy -- the name changes after you save the strategy. You appear to be fine now.

Maybe you just tried to change the campaign strategy too soon after changing the ad group strategies. Sometimes a big change (like changing the strategy on 50 ad groups at once) can take a few minutes to be registered in the system.

This is going to be one of those errors where even Google would probably say "if we can't reproduce it, we'll never know what caused it."

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Karen,

Have you already applied an automated bid strategy ad adgroups level, as bis strategy at adgroup level will override the campaign bid strategy and if any bid automated bid strategy already applied at adgroup level then this issue may occur.

As one of your screenshot reflects that the bid strategy at adgroup level is responsible for this issue:

bis strategy.jpg

So, either first change the bid strategy at adgroup level as manual and then change the campaign bid strategy as maximise clicks(automated)
or leave the campaign bid strategy as it is and only change the bid strategy at adgroup level/ keyword level(adgroup will override the campaign's and keyword bid strategy will override the adgroup's).

**Maximize clicks can also be applied at keyword level.

Hope it will help. Feel free to post again.

Regards
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Changing Bid Strategy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Archit,

Thank you for the insightful answer above. I am facing an issue with my bidding strategy as I am unable to change it at the ad group level or campaign level. Originally I chose it as enhanced cpc, and I want to change it to manual cpc.

Can you please advise.

Best Regards,

AS

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@amrita s,

I would recommend to post your issue with a new thread as this is an old thread and lot of updates have been rolled out related to bid strategies.

To start a new thread, use guide me.

Attaching a screenshot for your reference:new thread.JPG

Regards