2.4K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me

Can't update/install AdWords Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can't update/install AdWords Editor. 

When tried to update last week got an error 1603: Fatal Error during installation.
Contacted AdWords support, got provided with the following steps:

This is a Windows Installer error, usually indicative of some environmental issue.

The best way to troubleshoot is to run the installer manually, logging the output, then look for the error in the log.

AdWords Editor is installed by Google Software Update, so if the manual installation succeeds, you will have installed Editor without installing Google Software Update, which is necessary to keep the app up to date.
You can tell if Google Software Update has been installed by the presence of C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\Google\Update

To install manually with logging, you need to download the msi from

Open a command window where you downloaded the file (most likely C:\Users\%USERNAME%\Downloads), and enter the following command:

msiexec /i google_adwords_editor.msi /l*veditor_install.log

Search the log for 1603.

If the install happens to succeed, I strongly suggest you uninstall, which you can do from the menu, then reinstall, to ensure you have Google Software Update.

Didn't help, the error in the MSI log is: Product: AdWords Editor -- Error 1714. The older version of AdWords Editor cannot be removed.  Contact your technical support group.  System Error 1612

Please help!!!
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Accepted by topic author Kat G
August 2016

Re: Can't update/install AdWords Editor

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
See if this helps:

It's a tool from Microsoft for clearing up issues preventing applications from uninstalling.

Re: Can't update/install AdWords Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Igor! That was the tool that actually helped me in the end Smiley Happy