6K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me

Can't update/install AdWords Editor

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I downloaded adwords editor then clicked to install it. It asks to choose the appropriate language and when I click next I get the error

google_adwords_editor.exe has stopped working

Problem details

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: google_adwords_editor.exe
Application Version:
Application Timestamp: 58b9aaf8
Fault Module Name: ig4icd32.dll
Fault Module Version:
Fault Module Timestamp: 4aba6fc2
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 002095ed
OS Version: 6.1.7601.
Locale ID: 16393
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

Read our privacy statement online:

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:

Pls help

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I tried what you said. I updated the drivers and it did not work. I tried downloading adwords 11.7 version and the link is broken

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Try this as a workaround.

1. Download Editor 12.0 (just released today); the workaround won't work for 11.8

2. Run Editor. Choose display language. Click Next.

Most likely, v12.0 will crash at this point, same as 11.8. We are still researching the issue and, sadly, haven't found a solution yet.

3. There should now be a file named Google-AdWords-Editor.ini in the following folder:

You can get to it quickly by typing the following into Explorer address bar (including percent signs): %APPDATA%\Google

4. Open this file in Notepad (or any other text editor). Add this line of text at the bottom:

Save the file.

5. Run Editor again. This time, it should bypass the initial setup dialog (the one that crashes), and open Accounts manager window.

6. In Accounts Manager, click Help > Current AdWords Editor Terms of Use. Please review the terms and conditions, and don't use the software if you don't agree to them. By adding "acceptedTermsVersion=1" line to the INI file, you've simulated clicking "I agree" button on the Terms And Conditions page of the initial setup dialog (which is the one that's crashing).

7. In Accounts Manager, click Settings > Settings. Review that the settings are the way you'd like them, and in particular the following:

General > Enable anonymous usage tracking

Default campaign targeting > Language and Location

These would normally be collected in the initial setup dialog, after Terms and Conditions are accepted. But you would have bypassed those, so the settings would have some default values. You can change them (and any other settings) to taste now.

8. In Accounts Manager, click +ADD button. In the "Sign in to your AdWords account" dialog, make sure to use "Open browser to sign in" option. The other one, "Use in-app browser to sign in", will most likely crash Editor. Follow prompts to add your AdWords account to Editor.

That's it. Editor should be working for you now, as long as you avoid that "Use in-app browser to sign in" button.