AdWords
4.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Can I transfer my Google certification?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I  passed the Adwords Fundamentals exam and received certificate in May.  I have just begun working for a company that is a certified Google Partner.  I wish to transfer my fundamentals certification to the account of my new employer before I take the second Adwords exam to become Adwords certified.  How do I go about transferring my fundamentals certification please?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kerry,

The certification is tied to you and your email account... and can be synced to one company at a time. So you would simply go to your Google Partners profile and remove the company it is/was synced with and then assign it to your new company.

That's all there is to it.

Kind Regards,

James

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi James,

What if your account uses your current employer's company email? 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Rob,

That's a great question and one we field often in the Google Partners community, where I assist and am very involved in as a badged Google Partner agency and TC. 

If a personal Google Partners account uses a employer's email address, this can complicate things a bit. 

1) If the email is the property of a company and the certifications were taken while employed and for the company's benefit, then it will likely require walking away from the account and certifications and starting fresh. Some companies have strongly defined uses with their email accounts and this would come into play. Some companies pay for training and certifications so they can qualify for being a badged Google Partner and this would also come into play (at least ethically speaking). 

2) If the email is the property of a company yet the certifications were taken at home, in your spare time and the email account was used for personal use (and allowed by company), then the Google Partners account can usually be updated to change out the email address associated with it, which makes the certification and GP account freestanding. At this point, it can be synced to any badged Google Partner agency.  

When someone visits Google Partners, they can click on My Profile in the left hand menu stack and see what email is used and what company the account is synced to. And they can click on Help button at the upper center of the screen and then click on live support. GP Support will assist from there. 

It is always best to create an individual Google Partners account with a personal/private email and then sync it to any employer. Technically speaking, certifications are assigned to email accounts (although they are earned personally). This makes the Google Partners account belong to the person so they can maintain it for life and add/remove companies at will. Each account can only be synced to one company at a time but can be added and removed all someone wants.

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thank you..

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Thanks James!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@James_Clemens;

>>" the Google Partners account can usually be updated to change out the email address associated with it, which makes the certification and GP account freestanding. At this point, it can be synced to any badged Google Partner agency.  "

Technically,  How does the employee do that?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Kerry K and @RobSkelton,

You both are very welcome. Smiley Happy

@MosheTLV, the email address is updated by contacting Google Partners Support (visits Google Partners, click on the "Help button" at the upper center of the screen and then click on "live support"). 

All the Best,

James

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@James_Clemens;

I mean, do I as an owner, should contact Partners and send the a  "release" for the past employee / user, or the user could contact Partners directly?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hi @Moshe,

No, Google Partners would not need anything like that. AdWords certifications are done via a personal Google Partners account and the person with access to the email/account is the rightful owner. It's the same as it is with an AdWords account where the one that creates/administers it, is the owner (not the business being advertised).

Typically, if someone has a company email and leaves the employer, that employer will either 1) allow them to use the company email for a month or more and remain friendly or 2) they immediately kill the email account or 3) they will take over the email account and manage it (so they can service any clients, answer emails, forward the account, etc.) but lock the previous employee out of it by changing the password, which locks the person out of the entire Google account (and all associated services).

If #1 happens, the employee/user can contact Google Partners and change the email and save the certifications. 

If #2 happens, the certifications and Google Partners account is lost and needs to be started over fresh.

If #3 happens, the certifications live on but the actual certified person is locked out and would have to start over fresh. Sometimes the certifications can be saved, but it is not likely.

There are many variables based specifically on the details of the situation. I would say that about 50% of the certifications and Google Partner accounts are saved and emails changed out. And the other 50% are lost and the person starts over. Some just walk away since the AdWords certs are only good for a year. If the employer was being stern about things and the person had 3 months remaining with the certification, it would be easy enough to walk away and create a personal Gmail email and study and test under it.

I would never recommend having a Google Partners account (for certifications) on a company email. Training and skills should be a personal asset they lend to their employer until they leave. And a Google account is rather personal, since it connects Gmail, YouTube, search history... and possibly dozens of Google products and services.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

James