AdWords
4.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Call Only Campaign Fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We recently started a call only campaign, and so far the only call we have received is what I would consider click fraud.  Is there anything that can be done for this, or am I out the money?

Here is some background:

We created the campaign, and today I noticed we paid for our first click $15.81.  I thought it was odd that our phone system had not forwarded us any calls so I went to investigate.  I noticed that a call did enter our IVR, but that they never made a menu selection.  Odd, but I wanted to call back and verify this was a real customer.  When I called, I reach what sounded like a call center, where it would answer, I would hear loud background noise, and then my call would be hung up on.  I called back until someone answered. They claimed to work for google, and that they would optimize my campaign for a price. I told them I knew they were fraudulent, and to add me to their do not call list, and was immediately hung up on.

Again, is there anything I can do about this?  I know $15 is not a huge amount, but to a small business just getting off the ground every penny of advertising counts.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Call Only Campaign Fraud

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Patch M

Well... Google doesn't communicate with advertisers  that way. So this was surely not Google. Google does not click.

Now, once the ad is clicked, you are charged, rgrdelss if the call did go through the system or not. My experience: when a user has to make a selection - the user does not complete the funnel. I recommend clients to set a dedicated phone  with a human rep on the other side. This is the essence of  a call only campaign: someone answers the call. 
Why  are you bidding that high? ($15is expensive for a call only camapign...)

Also keep in mind that some of the clicks will be invalid. This is part of any campaign..

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/7159344?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Call Only Campaign Fraud

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

MosheTLV,

My campaign is on autobid, and $15 is fine if it is a real customer.  My concern is that this call center is farming google call only add accounts, and clearly adding them to their auto-dialer.  I have a extensive history in call centers, and the behavior exhibited when I called back made it clear that this was an autodialing call center.

Call Only Campaign Fraud

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Sounds like some unscrupulous person was cold calling AdWords advertisers and misrepresenting themselves, hoping someone falls for the con. The same thing could happen as a result of a yellow pages ad, TV, radio ad, etc. - Any known business owner / person of some means who is showing interest in the (one of) con(s) they are running. If you really think there's a case of felony fraud potential, then contact the authorities and provide them with all the information you have.

Tom