AdWords
3.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Big Drop in traffic after signing up for AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I signed up for Google Adwords just to see - and never activated my campaign. A few days later, I missed a phone call from a sales rep trying to talk to me about ads. I've noticed a big drop in traffic since signing up and wonder if I'm being punished for not buying ads?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lynn C
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had experience with many tech companies, and I'm not shy about being negative when the evidence warrants it.  Google is the most well behaved, honest, and well-meaning tech company I have dealt with in a 30 year career in tech.  Which is quite an amazing feat considering the scale and reach of their operations.

Trust me, the last thing you need to worry about is Google pulling some kind of silly shenanigan like that.  

Google's founding ethos back in early 2000 was the declaration "don't be evil", and it became their Corporate motto.  The evidence clearly shows that it became authentically imbedded within their Corporate DNA.  Although no company is perfect, imho Google does a good job of living that motto day to day, year to year. If you call into Google support and play close attention, you will see it reflected on every call. That crucial aspect of their Corporate character is one of the main reasons I decided to delve deeply into AdWords years ago.

I'm sure it could happen, but they have yet to disappoint me on that front.  

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Lynn C,

There has to be other factors involved in the drop of traffic. 

The the organic SERPs (search engine results pages) in Google Search are not influenced by Google AdWords. They are separate divisions and a representative with AdWords cannot affect your organic listings.

You should look into Google Search Console and Google Analytics for further reasons affecting the performance of your website.  

Kind Regards,

James

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lynn C
October 2016

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I have had experience with many tech companies, and I'm not shy about being negative when the evidence warrants it.  Google is the most well behaved, honest, and well-meaning tech company I have dealt with in a 30 year career in tech.  Which is quite an amazing feat considering the scale and reach of their operations.

Trust me, the last thing you need to worry about is Google pulling some kind of silly shenanigan like that.  

Google's founding ethos back in early 2000 was the declaration "don't be evil", and it became their Corporate motto.  The evidence clearly shows that it became authentically imbedded within their Corporate DNA.  Although no company is perfect, imho Google does a good job of living that motto day to day, year to year. If you call into Google support and play close attention, you will see it reflected on every call. That crucial aspect of their Corporate character is one of the main reasons I decided to delve deeply into AdWords years ago.

I'm sure it could happen, but they have yet to disappoint me on that front.  

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Great post, Steve.

Just adding that Google was founded quite a bit earlier, on September 4, 1998 in Menlo Park, CA. Otherwise I fully concur with you ... Smiley Happy

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Correct, Lakatos.But they didn't come up with the motto until 2000, at a Corporate strategy meeting.  Attribution to "who" is mixed.  

I was following Google very closely right from the start. pre-IPO, I lived in the San Francisco financial district a few years later so I was witness to the "wheeling and dealing" which was taking place within the financial community to try and get ahold of pre-IPO shares. That happens with all IPOs, but with Google it was unprecedented, along with all the hype about their "Dutch auction" IPO which turned out to be a masterstroke.  

The brilliant share control structure that showed up in the IPO has played a key role in allowing them to continue to be innovative & avoid becoming just another qtr-to-qtr Wall Street profit machine, imho.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Amazing tidbits from the witness stand. Thanks for sharing them, Steve. Your humble opinion is highly appreciated ... Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks, Lakatos.  I've sort of been a "student of Google" since the start, and I feel this is an aspect of Google which is underappreciated and under reported.  

For those interested in understanding Google a little better, one resource is "The Search" by John Battelle -- it dated now, but still a classic.

I will refrain from "show-and-tell story time" unless extremely relevantSmiley Happy, as this is a very high quality professional support forum. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

@Steve B

Could you please give more info regarding Google share control structure or where I can read about it? Its very interesting. Thank you!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

It's referred to frequently in WSJ articles about Google/Alphabet, like this one:

http://blogs.wsj.com/cfo/2015/08/12/googles-multi-class-stock-structure-made-alphabet-move-unique/

Just Google "Google share control structure" and you will have plenty of reading.  The founders knew that they would lose control of Google to Wall Street types, and they set it up so it would not happen.  An impressive accomplishment considering they were relatively young and hadn't been through an IPO before. "The establishment forces" were totally against it, they were harshly condemned in the press by the financial community at the time.  But they were right, and it was a superb move, history shows.