AdWords
755 members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Bidding Against No One - Ad Still Won't Run

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can anyone tell me why Google AdWords won't run my ad, even though NO ONE ELSE is bidding on my search term?  The ad is approved, but never seems to run.  When I run a Google search for my specific keyword (drinking games), NO ADS show from anyone.  I am bidding on that search term with a CPC max of $0.02 (aka 2 cents).  I realize 2 cents is not very much, but as the ONLY bid for that search term, shouldn't it win the bid and run?  I've scoured the help sections and found no mention of an actual bid minimum to get your ad to show, but apparently there is one.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean T
June 2016

Re: Bidding Against No One - Ad Still Won't Run

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As I mentioned in my original post, the ad/keywords are all approved (no caveats). So, what we've discovered, as I also mentioned in my first post, is that even keywords no one is bidding on do have a minimum threshold (bid) to show, usually in the 1-3 dollar range (according to the "bid estimates" provided). It would just be nice if Google admitted that from the get-go, and didn't make it seem as though you could post ads for pennies.

I'm just providing this info for other poor suckers like me, so they'll know from now on. Even when bidding against no one, if you don't bid at least the lowest 'estimate' provided, your ad will NOT run, despite what the rest of your 'Quality Score' is. Especially since most of the rest of the QS is based on ad performance, which can't be calculated if it isn't running. I suggest scouring all your possible keywords for the cheapest one.

From what I've heard, the prices "might" go down a bit if your ad performs well (CTR) . . . that remains to be seen.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Sean,

Does your ad contain much to do with drinking/alcohol?

Also what is your Quality Score breakdown for the ad and when you hover over the icon next to the status of the ad does it say "ad showing now"? If it does, click Ad Preview and Diagnosis.

Ali

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sean;

Probably there is no word in any language supported by AdWords that has not been bid... Hence long gone the days of a minimum bid...

For any given keyword there is a threshold of QS and ad rank  to get your ad shown even if no competitor is currently bidding on that KW.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
And yet, when I search on that keyword, no ads show up. Don't believe me, try it yourself, google "drinking games without cards". No ads at the top or bottom, I went 6 pages deep, still no ads at the top or bottom of any page. So, I'm going to need a better explanation.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Sean, hey!

Go to the keywords view, click details > keyword diagnostics and then screengrab that view for us (once you've run the diagnostics).

That will help both you and us work out the issue.

Also, how old is this campaign/term? Recently added?

Ali

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Agreed with Moshe, there is a minimum threshold to show the ads even no one is bidding on the same.
Raise your bid enough so that it can contribute to a better adrank.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Sean T;

I still thing that bidding 2 cents  will rests in an ad-rank (far) below the threshold, But, to be certain,  let's also check Policy compliance:

Have the ads been approved?   What's their approval status? Do you see any Policy warning on the account?

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6327680

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean T
June 2016

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
As I mentioned in my original post, the ad/keywords are all approved (no caveats). So, what we've discovered, as I also mentioned in my first post, is that even keywords no one is bidding on do have a minimum threshold (bid) to show, usually in the 1-3 dollar range (according to the "bid estimates" provided). It would just be nice if Google admitted that from the get-go, and didn't make it seem as though you could post ads for pennies.

I'm just providing this info for other poor suckers like me, so they'll know from now on. Even when bidding against no one, if you don't bid at least the lowest 'estimate' provided, your ad will NOT run, despite what the rest of your 'Quality Score' is. Especially since most of the rest of the QS is based on ad performance, which can't be calculated if it isn't running. I suggest scouring all your possible keywords for the cheapest one.

From what I've heard, the prices "might" go down a bit if your ad performs well (CTR) . . . that remains to be seen.