AdWords
2.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Analytics conversion goals are not showing up in AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I  recently imported goals from Google Analytics into AdWords using the Tools > Conversions > Google Analytics path. However, no activity is showing up in the AdWords Conversions report, despite Google Analytics showing plenty of activity. Can somebody help me troubleshoot?

I've already tried unlinked/relinking the accounts (this was the only suggestion I could find in other forums).

Below are examples showing that goals are reported in Google Analytics:

Analytics.png

But not in Adwords: 

AdWords.png

Also, this is happening with 4 separate accounts. The account used above is just one example. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

When you say recently, how recently was that? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

About 2 weeks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

hi @Caleb R

2 weeks is a long time, by now you should be seeing conversions. could you confirm that the links allows all data from analytics can be viewed on adwords. just in case you havent done this follow the following steps 

To import your goals:

1. After you've linked your AdWords and Analytics accounts, wait 30 minutes for the imports to be ready. Then, sign in to your AdWords account, click the Tools tab, and select Conversions.
  2. Click Analytics in the left-hand menu.
  3. Check the boxes next to the goals or transactions you want to import. Click Continue.
  4. On the next page, you'll see settings that will apply to all of the goals or transactions you selected. Make your choices, then click Import goals.
  5. Click Close, or to import more goals, click Import more.

Re: Analytics conversion goals are not showing up in AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Zabby

I can confirm that the process you outlined is the process I originally set up. So, unfortunately, I've already tried this. I did verify these steps as well. The attached screenshot shows that the goals are currently being imported.

Importing5Goals.png

I've also attached below a screenshot showing Goals activity as reported in Google Analytics, for one example goal (PPC Calls - WA Roseburg). I'm seeing Goals in GA, but they are not appearing in AdWords.

GA Goals.png

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Caleb,

How do you know the conversions are from AdWords visitors? 

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The Analytics Goals are set up to fire when an AdWords call is made. We use Marchex as a call tracking vendor. When a user visits our website from an AdWords ad, Marchex DNI displays a unique tracking number. When that number disconnects after a call, a virtual pageview is sent to Google Analytics which triggers an event. That event is what determines a Goal conversion.

But your question--and the implied problem--makes sense. I suppose there's no way that Google Analytics would know that the governing Event originated from an AdWords ad. Very interesting. And very helpful.

I'm going to see if it's possible to adjust the medium in GA (perhaps using the cm Measurement Protocol which is a variable allowed within the Marchex code) for those specific goals so that they reflect cpc. Do you, based on your knowledge, think this will solve the issue? Or, am I making the change too far down the funnel? In other words, does AdWords import the goal activity based on the GA medium information or based on a trigger from earlier in the process (does the conversion pixel, for example, govern this import)?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Caleb,

I've never done this part before, others here may know better...

I figure you have two options:

Capture GCLID from the ad, and fake the referrer for the page view that is generated so that Analytics thinks it is from an ad (I don't even know if this is actually possible...)

Or, create an offline conversion that you import into AdWords. This also requires capturing the GCLID somehow. More here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2998031