AdWords
1.5K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords went over budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I started a YouTube video campaign using Adwords last night. I wanted to spend $25 total, so that worked out to $1.79 per day over 14 days. I just logged on now to check how it was doing and it says the cost is at $84. 

EDIT: Okay, so I read that I won't be charged more than 30.4 times my daily budget. I also ready somewhere that if Google overspends they'll just credit you the amount. Does that mean I'll have to pay $84, but Google will give me a $30 credit...?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Adwords went over budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I had the same thing happen to me except the cost was $638 on a $20 budget. Still haven't been charged so I'm guessing that's just an error on Google's part and you won't be charged.

Adwords went over budget

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

@Rachelle P

To give you a correct answer we need to know what you entered in as your daily budget. It sounds like you may have entered $25/day.  

Re: Adwords went over budget

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I thought I entered $25 for the entire campaign because in the settings it says $1.79/ day and the campaign was supposed to last from Jan 30- Feb 13.

IMG_1375.PNG

Adwords went over budget

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

@Rachelle P

Thanks for sharing that.  That is bizarre. I do see that the schedule date is set to none, but that really shouldn't matter. What was your CPV bid if you don't mind me asking.  $.55 is really on the high side from my experience.

You are certain it was was set to $1.79 at the start of the campaign?
I've managed a lot of Adwords accounts, including video campaigns, and I've never seen such a gross overspend in one day.  There should be a logical explanation for this.  Even with the 30.4 calculation, it still should not have gone over 20% of $1.79. So the most it should have spent in one day is $2.15.

It's really hard to figure out what has happened without seeing your account and looking at the change history. I would contact support on this one and see what they have to say.

To answer your original question, "Do I have to pay $84...,"  it really depends on your credit threshold and when your account is billed and when the over-delivery credit is issued.  It could go either way. It can be credited before you are billed, or after. 

If it is after the fact, and you decide you don't want to advertise any longer, there is a process to have the eligible credit on your account refunded. Eligible meaning it's not from a promotion coupon or something like that.

Adwords went over budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate it. Basically when I set up the campaign I just entered $25 and did notice that the campaign had a firm start and end date for $1.79 per day. The max CPV is $0.05, but I did notice when it first started that someone clicked the ad and there was a different charge for that.

I was monitoring it quite closely and everything was normal for about 12 hours. The daily budget had almost been reached, was hovering around $1.62 for a few hours, and it seemed like they weren't going to show the ad anymore.  

I did add some topics to the campaign, but I was under the impression that this just helped to narrow the ad placement. Does it in fact add a new budget for each one?

A few hours later I posted the video to Reddit and it kind of blew up on there. I was getting a lot of views so I decided to check the campaign one more time, which was when I noticed it had all of a sudden jumped to $84.

So it all kind of happened really fast and at the same time! I'm not that upset about it although I would have liked the campaign to run longer. I'm a little wary of it now and will probably hold off until I understand it more. 

Adwords went over budget

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Crazy. I checked the billing to see what was going on there and it appears that it was an overdelivery on their part! The actual cost is being displayed as $2.15

This changed into a great experience haha.