AdWords
2.1K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords editor – Account does not exist

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm an admin on my account. I downloaded the Adwords Editor for mac and tried to use it for the first time.

Upon authenticating, it said this:

"The account you're trying to access doesn't exist. Please try again."

The log file says this:

_ApiException {
  grubby_subtype: GRUBBYSUBTYPES_COM_GOOGLE_ADS_API_SERVICES_COMMON_ERROR_APIEXCEPTION
  _ApiException_ {
    errors {
      grubby_subtype: GRUBBYSUBTYPES_COM_GOOGLE_ADS_API_SERVICES_COMMON_ERROR_AUTHENTICATIONERROR
      _AuthenticationError_ {
        reason: AUTHENTICATIONERROR_REASON_CLIENT_EMAIL_INVALID
      }
      errorDetails: "message=client email MYEMAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM maps to gaiaId XXXXXXXXXXX without ads user"
      debugPath: ""
      trigger: "MYEMAIL@MYDOMAIN.COM"
      errorString: "AuthenticationError.CLIENT_EMAIL_INVALID"
      fieldPath: ""
    }
  }

What can I do? Why is this happening?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
May 2016

Re: Adwords editor – Account does not exist

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Try this: go to https://myaccount.google.com/ (perhaps in an incognito window) and sign in with myemail%mydomain.com@gtempaccount.com (and the password you used before Google Apps migration). I think you'd be prompted to change the email then. But if not, go to Personal info & privacy > Your personal info, click an arrow next to Email, then click an arrow next to "Google Account email". There, you can change the account email (e.g. to myemail+personal@mydomain.com).

View solution in original post

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Did you sign in by opening a browser window, or did you use the in-app browser?

If former, is the signed in user for that session the same as the account you're trying to access?

If not, then use the in-app browser.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I actually tried both ways with the same result. In both cases, I am using the google account associated with my adwords ID, which is also the same google account I use to access adwords.google.com.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
I can see the problem in the server logs. That Gaia ID that shows up in the error message is actually linked to myemail%mydomain.com@gtempaccount.com . Here's a good explanation of how and why this happens:

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/gmail/hxWmreBIuoQ

It is not clear why this situation causes problems when authenticating with Editor, but not when logging into the online interface; this is being investigated. Meanwhile, you can resolve the issue by renaming your personal account (you should be prompted to do so every time you sign in to any Google property, I believe) so it no longer conflicts with Google Apps one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I read the page you linked to and think I understand it. However, I have
no clue how to log into the gtempaccount. I have never seen any prompt like
they describe here:

“When signing in with your these...@company.com address, we're not sure if
> you're accessing your Google Apps account or your personal Google Account,
> and for that reason, *we show 'An update to your account is required'*
> page because we need your help in distinguishing between the two accounts."

If I look at the dashboard, it shows all my email @mydomain.com (23k
messages) so I assume this is the Google Apps account. Any further ideas?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Krisha (Community Manager)
May 2016

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee
Try this: go to https://myaccount.google.com/ (perhaps in an incognito window) and sign in with myemail%mydomain.com@gtempaccount.com (and the password you used before Google Apps migration). I think you'd be prompted to change the email then. But if not, go to Personal info & privacy > Your personal info, click an arrow next to Email, then click an arrow next to "Google Account email". There, you can change the account email (e.g. to myemail+personal@mydomain.com).

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow, I finally got it. Thanks for your help. The weird thing was we never used this domain before having Google Apps. The account only had some web history data in it, no other accounts, and it wouldn't even let me migrate anything. But I found a way to get past it and then the Adwords tool worked.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I am having this exact same issue. I just created a new gmail account, and adwords account, verified my phone number and email, but have not created an adwords data account yet. Perhaps that is why?

I have tried 5 times to download the data into adwords editor and after opening it in the browser of the app as well as my chrome and safari browsers to login to no avail, it won't work. i signed out of my other gmail accounts just to be safe.

what gives? i created this new account so i can demonstrate how i would create an ad campaign for a job with an agency and i need this created by eod tomorrow. hope someone has advice lol

thanks

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee
Sign into your account at https://adwords.google.com . You need to do this at least once before the new account is fully set up and accessible in Editor. You don't have to actually create your first campaign in the online interface, but you need to get to the point where you are prompted to create one.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yeah I did that and it didn't work. I finally entered my billing info and
that seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for responding.