AdWords
2.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor Error

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I created new campaigns/groups/keywords/ads/negatives yesterday and attempted to post them through Adwords Editor (AE). When I do this I get the error below. I then contacted chat support, which I sat on there for 2 hours with zero results.

He said he thought it was on their side and to try again later. It's still an issue today. He pointed me to a thread in the community that suggested this, but the error was not identical.

"Internal Google error." Your request cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later. OperationAccessDenied.Action_Not_Permitted @ class com.google.ads.boulder.api.services.transaction.MutateAction"

I then exported everything from AE and attempted to upload via bulk upload inside the Adwords UI. For the life of me I can't understand why AE wouldn't populate the cells with values would be accepted by the web UI, but it doesn't. That's a complaint for another time.

After fixing most errors, it gave me "Item not found" as it tried to add a group. I'm assuming this refers to the ad group, not the campaign because previously before the campaign was successful it said "campaign not found." (or similar) when trying to add the group.

Of course it's not found, it's trying to add it. What am I missing here?

Thanks,

David

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David G
January 2017

Adwords Editor Error

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

I have seen the failing requests in the server logs with my own two eyes, and I am absolutely 100% sure they were authenticated with the credentials of that one user with read-only access, which is why they failed. I can't tell you how that happened, but happen it did - somehow or other, you have this account added to Editor under the read-only user's login.

Re-add your MCC account in Editor - this should refresh all its child accounts to use MCC credentials. I believe this will resolve the issue.

View solution in original post

Adwords Editor Error

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

All requests that failed with OperationAccessDenied were made by a user that has read-only access to the account in question; naturally, such a user cannot make changes to the account (hence "read-only"). You can check users' access in AdWords interface, under Gear icon > Account settings > Account access.

If you own more than one login email that has access to a given AdWords account, it's important to pay attention to which one you authenticate with when adding the account to Editor, as that would be the login under which Editor would also perform upload operations. Especially when you use "Open browser to sign in" option, as the browser tends to silently default to whichever account you happen to be signed in with Gmail, say. The current account is usually shown at the top right of the page as you go through the authentication process - confirm it's the correct one.

If you've already added the account under the wrong login, just re-add it - click +Add on Accounts Manager, and go through the workflow as if adding it anew (but make sure to use the correct login this time). Editor will realize it already has the account, and won't make you re-download account data or lose local edits, but it will remember the new authentication credentials and use them for all subsequent network operations.

Re: Adwords Editor Error

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the response. I asked that yesterday (during my 2 hour chat
session) and was told that wasn't the problem, which I tend to agree with.
I only have one email account with access, it's my MCC, which I am an admin
on. Also, I have made changes to that account inside Adwords.

I had the client upload the changes and it doesn't matter at this point,
but the error still doesn't make sense.

Adwords Editor Error

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

You did make sure to download recent changes, advanced, first right? Do you have the latest version of the editor?

Tom

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David G
January 2017

Adwords Editor Error

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

I have seen the failing requests in the server logs with my own two eyes, and I am absolutely 100% sure they were authenticated with the credentials of that one user with read-only access, which is why they failed. I can't tell you how that happened, but happen it did - somehow or other, you have this account added to Editor under the read-only user's login.

Re-add your MCC account in Editor - this should refresh all its child accounts to use MCC credentials. I believe this will resolve the issue.

Adwords Editor Error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Were you able to get this resolved? I am having the same issue when uploading a CSV through the AdWords web UI. I don't use MCCm so it shouldn't be a permissions problem as the account I'm using is an admin.

Adwords Editor Error

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

@Brian G

That particular instance, no. However, I think I realized what may have happened. I was doing some freelance work for that client. The first time I worked with them they provided me with credentials they set up. I added it to Adwords editor. Afterwards they changed the password on that account, but I never went back into Adwords to allow that to update.

The next time I worked with the client (which is what this thread was referencing) I linked it to my MCC. When I tried to add to pull it in from my MCC into Adwords it was already downloaded. Which I thought was odd, but didn't think much of it. It must have been from the original credentials they provided even though that account was no longer showing in AE (through that login). Later when I had this issue I didn't think about the fact it did that, which obviously was from the original

After completing the work (had to have the client upload) I unlinked the account from my MCC and took it out of Adwords. Then, with a third project I linked them again to my MCC and didn't have any issues.

So my thought is the wires inside AE somehow got crossed between the account with their credentials and my MCC. Even if that scenario doesn't fit yours, it might be worthwhile trying to remove access to the account in question, then add it back.

Best of luck.

Adwords Editor Error

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the detailed reply! I'm not using an MCC account in this case, but I tried demoting permissions on the AdWords account and restoring it to Administrator. Unfortunately, I continued to get the same "Item not found" AdGroup error when uploading the CSV. If/when I find a solution I will share here. Thanks for the help!

Adwords Editor Error

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

What about terminating access to that email address entirely, making sure it's cleared from AE, then give that email access again.