AdWords
2.2K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Editor 11 - You Don't Have Permissions To Modify This Account

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

FYI - there really should be an Adwords Editor forum.

Anyways, I'm quite certain there's a conflict in the 'Accounts manager' window when two MCCs hold the same account.

How to recreate?

1. '+Add' MCC-1 that contains account a. Note: you don't even necessarily have to download account a; it simply just needs to be IN the MCC-1.

2. '+Add' another MCC-2 that ALSO contains account a.

3. Try to download account a from MCC-2.  When you select 'Campaigns I Select', you will be met with an error that says something to the effect of 'You don't have permissions to modify this account.'

So the error is not true.  I do have permissions by the fact that I can log into both MCCs.  The problem is, there's a conflict as to which account Adwords Editor 11 is trying to download the account.  My guess is, it's trying to download the account from MCC-2 using MCC-1's credentials or something weird.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Editor 11 - You Don't Have Permissions To Modify This Acco

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jarad,
There have been quite a few problems with the AWE 11 roll out. While I cannot replicate this issue I don't doubt that you have the issue. I think your best bet would be to contact AdWords support to file a bug report and have them pass it on to the AWE dev team. I know they don't have any feedback options or links on the AWE page.

I do however know that there have been a lot of reported issues in the last release and the AWE team are working on a fix for them. Mainly issues relating to bulk import and bulk actions. Unfortunately, I don't know if your issue is one of them so I'd encourage you to go the official support route.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Dave. I generally do go the official support route but wanted to at least make my issue known. I believe some Adwords employees community support members pass some of this stuff along to Google's internal teams.

Today I had two more issues:
1. This MCC has no managed accounts to download - error despite the fact that I had JUST logged in with that exact credentials 1 minute prior.
2. I logged into MCC1 that contained a sub-MCC. I then tried to log into that sub-MCC in AE 11 and it simply didn't add that MCC to the Accounts Manager MCC list. It did nothing.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Our agency has also come across this, when trying to use two different logins (both valid for the MMC) to access one account.

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

I managed to reproduce two problems with Editor, when dealing with MCC accounts that have child accounts in common.

1) If you add MCC1, and then add MCC2 such that all its child accounts also appear under MCC1, then you'll get an error message "This manager has no accounts to download". This could happen if MCC2 is itself a sub-account of MCC1, or the two could be technically unrelated but just have a common set of child accounts by coincidence.

As a workaround, you could first remove one or more accounts under MCC1 that also appear under MCC2, then you should be able to add MCC2 (now that, as far as Editor knows, it has some accounts that MCC1 doesn't). If MCC2 is a sub-account of MCC1, then remove it from under MCC1 first, then re-add it - it'll show up as an independent MCC hierarchy.

By "remove", I mean select an account in Accounts Manager dialog and click Remove button. This doesn't affect your actual AdWords accounts, it just makes Editor forget about their existence.

2) You download MCC1 hierarchy that contains child account A. You then download MCC2 hierarchy that also happens to contain A. Even though A shows up in both places in Accounts Manager, Editor links it internally to MCC2 (the hierarchy it was seen in last), and insists that it be accessed only via MCC2 login.

As a workaround, re-add the MCC account through which you actually want to access this child (MCC1 in this example). Again, the child account is tied to whichever hierarchy it was seen in most recently, for authentication purposes. To make it clearer which hierarchy it actually belongs to, you could remove it (it will then disappear from both spots), then re-add it through the "right" MCC (it will then only appear there).

Remember that, when you remove an account, you will lose any unposted changes in it. Make sure to upload those changes first, or else export an account shapshot, then import it back once the account is re-added and re-downloaded.

Quite frankly, we haven't considered these use cases where the same account shows up in multiple MCC hierarchies. We'll work on handling these scenarios better.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Thanks @AdWordsEng-Igor
Is there a better or more official channel to file bug/UX reports like this better?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee
The official feedback channel is

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/contact/awe_gen

It's best to also post in the forum, this way I get a heads-up sooner.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
That's perfect @AdWordsEng-Igor
Im going to flag any AWE issues here in my feed reader and I'll make sure everything flows through the correct channels if needed.

Really appreciate you popping in here on this one.