6.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me

Ads targeting to wrong adgroup even when negative keywords are applied

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am having an issue with showing the right adgroup when typing in a search term.

For example, I have two adgroups: Text Appointment Platform and Text Platform.

In Text Platform adgroup, I have applied Appointment as a negative keyword to block it from showing when Text Appointment Platform is typed in.
However, in the Ad Preview and Diagnosis, it shows that it is still trying to targeted the Text Platform adgroup but shows that it has a negative keyword preventing it from showing. 

Each Adgroup has a modified broad match and exact match.

The Ad Preview also does not check the Text Appointment Platform adgroup to see if the ad shows or not.

How can I prevent this from happening and directing search terms to the right ads?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Ads targeting to wrong adgroup even when negative keywords are applied

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Clayton T

It can happen in two scenarios in general -

1. When the ad/keyword in 'Text Appointment Platform' has any issue with the approval. This is where the system is forced to check with the secondly available adroup for eligibility. 

2. It can happen when a keyword(s) from the "Text Platform" adgroup is eligible to trigger ads for the user's search query in the question and its ad rank is higher than the one in your second adgroup, but the negative is preventing it. 

Ideal solution: If you have +Text +Platform keyword in both the adgroups, better keep it in one. Place a bit higher bid on +Text +Appointment +Platform than on +text +platform. 

Ratan Jha
Join me on Google+   |   Twitter