AdWords
3.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Adding Keywords - Operation Not Permitted on this Type of Ad Group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am trying to add keywords to a display network campaign.  The screen seems to allow me to do this. I click "add keywords" it pops up a window with the eligible campaign and I click it, it narrows it down further to an add group, I click it and I'm shown the add keywords screen. I spend time searching for keyword suggestions and adding them. When I click save it says "This operation is not permitted on this ad group type."  Does not matter if I am adding 1 or 100 keywords, it's always the same error.  I've Googled this 10 different ways and cannot find anything that explains why it allows me to get this far only to say it's not allowed. I cannot figure out if it's just not allowed on Display Network ads or if it's some other issue. I am not using special characters or anything like that which would be rejected.

If keywords are not allowed on Display Network ads, exactly what kind of ad group or campaign are they allowed on?  

I have also found others responding to this issue by saying they are not allowed on Adwords Express.  How do I know if I'm using the Express version?  I'm logging in at adwords.google.com and nothing says "Express."  

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lauren,

I can confirm for you that you are not using AdWords Express. I say this since AdWords Express only presents a grid layout of blocks with ads. There are no campaigns, ad groups, keywords, etc.. AdWords Express is a very simplified and highly automated version of advertising based off of the full feature AdWords platform. There is no mistaking which one you are using since you mention Display Network, Campaigns, Ad Groups, and Keywords. You will want to omit any help given to AdWords Express users as it does not pertain to you at all. 

Do you know if you are using the previous AdWords experience or the new AdWords Experience? The easiest way to tell is if your account is use a white and blue color scheme only (previous AdWords experience) or do you see a dark grey left hand menu bar that is collapsible (new AdWords experience).   

You should be using the new AdWords experience since the previous will be retired at the end of the year. You can jump back and forth, as you wish, until then. 

Looking at your account in the new AdWords experience, click on the campaign tab, then click on the ad group you want to add keywords to, then click on the keywords tab, and finally click on the + symbol in the blue circle. Add one keywords and click save. What happens when you do this? 

Kind Regards,

James 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James,

I am using the new adwords. First I tried this in the old interface and had the error, so I switched to the new adwords and received the same error. 

Two ways:

Option 1 (this happens in both old and new keywords

Starting on the Overview screen, not in any specific campaign or ad group

Click Keywords on the left gray navigation

Click blue + circle

Select my Display network campaign in popup

Select the ad group in popup

Add a keyword

Click save
See this error "This operation is not permitted on this ad group type"

Option 2

Go to Campaigns

Click on Display Network campaign

Click Ad Group (note there is no keywords tab above, only Keywords link on left nav.)

Click Keywords on left nav and now it shows full path link at the top which indicates I am very specifically in keywords for that ad group, but only shows the Negative Keywords.  There is no tab or link to go to non-Negative Keywords. 

Thanks!
Lauren

Highlighted

Re: Adding Keywords - Operation Not Permitted on this Type of Ad Group

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Lauren,

You are welcome. 

Using your option 2, you should see the keywords dashboard that looks like my screenshot below:

keywords display group.jpg

At the top (red boxes) you should see two clickable links, one for negative and other for display/video keywords.

If you do not see this you have possibly have the settings for the campaign or ad group to only use another type of targeting. You would want to click on the Settings tab (while within the campaign or ad group) and see what the Settings reveal. It is likely that your campaign was created in the previous AdWords experience and simply creating a new one in the new AdWords experience would resolve your issue. I would suggest taking these two actions, even if as a test. 

Please let us know what you discover.