AdWords
5.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Add User vs Linking Accounts

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am running a new agency and have this very simple question that doesn't seem to be answered anywhere.

I am running multiple accounts from my own dashboard, but I also have accounts that clients want me to run from their account. They want to keep access to billing and "control" but should they "add" me as a "user" or "link" their account to me. I know that when they add me as a user, it won't allow it on my main account, thus I have several accounts just to manage this. I hope I am clear because this is driving me crazy!

I have tried adding my main account as an MCC but an MCC won't allow multiple "users". I am confused and looking for clarity and help. Thank you in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Add User vs Linking Accounts

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

@Polaris O;

Not sure I fully understand the scenario here:

The best would be to add those clients to your MCC and keep their  access to their account. (You do not revoke their access when linking to your MCC)

Read more about MCC access levels and privileges here:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1704346?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
It sounds like you don't currently have an MCC... So, I'm not sure what kind of "dashboard" you are referring to.

You can only have one Google user account per AdWords account. It sounds like that's the kind of problem you are having getting your MCC setup. Remove your user account from whatever AdWords account it currently has access to, and try to setup the MCC again. Then, send an invitation to join your MCC to that account, and have another administrative level user accept the invitation. Do that for all accounts, and you will have access to them all through your MCC. Your clients can still control their billing, they still own their own account, and they can choose what level of access to grant you, and remove your access any time.

"Enter the email address you want to use for this account. The email address must not already be used to sign in to other AdWords accounts."

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6139186?hl=en#create
Tom

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok Ok, so from what I am understanding is that each email has the ability to have only 1 "user". To be clear, I should:

Start fresh and create an MCC account from the google link.

then add all the accounts that I run and have control of.

then any accounts my clients would like to keep in their "adword" account, I send them an "account link" or "invitation".

Apologies in advance that this may seem rudimentary, but the wording is different everywhere and there really isn't much clarity.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
When you say "add", do you mean "link" or "add user"?

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Yes, the gmail account, is the "user". Only one "user" can be assigned to one "account". The MCC is considered an "account".

Unless you have a gmail account/user profile you want to use for your MCC (business) and online profile already, then go ahead and create a new gmail account/user profile that you want to be your main (business) email/profile from now on. If you do already have a gmail/user/profile that you want to use, then follow the steps I listed above. * This is up to you, and you may want to give it a little consideration as to whether you want to use a current gmail/user, or create a new one.

Adding/linking accounts: You send an "invitation" from your MCC by clicking a button, and entering the account number of the account you want to add/link. Then one of/the administrative user(s) of that account can accept the link to join/link to your MCC within the account settings of that "child" account. You then repeat that process for the individual child account you want to invite/add/link to your MCC.

The account owner/administrator still controls the billing for their account, they can remove your MCC access, they still "own" their account.

Now the question is what kind of process have you been using for your clients - Do you multiple clients that all have campaigns within a single account, and some that "own" their own account? Have you setup multiple accounts for each client, but they don't "own" them or control the billing?

Once you get the MCC setup, we can probably help you figure out how to sort some of that out as well.

Tom