AdWords
3.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor not backing up comments

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Everytime there is an update for AdWords editor the accounts are not backed up. At least on Windows 10.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

The subject of your post mentions comments. The detail mentions accounts. Are comments the issue, or is there more?

What version are you upgrading from?

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Thank you for your report - it helped us discover a bug in Editor 11.6 (just released), which indeed causes Editor to fail to bring over unposted edits and comments from prior version. We will release an updated version with a fix shortly - but that won't help those who've already upgraded to 11.6.

Meanwhile, there's a manual workaround:

1) If you have made any edits in any accounts after upgrading to 11.6 that you wouldn't want to lose, export them to an AES file. This workaround involves erasing and re-downloading all account data, so any edits would be lost if not backed up.

2) Close Editor.

3) Open the following folder in Explorer:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Google\Google-AdWords-Editor\

It should have two or more sub-folders named with numbers: 242 for the latest version (11.6), and smaller numbers for prior versions (e.g. 232 corresponds to 11.5.* series).

4) Open the sub-folder with the second-highest number, the largest one below 242. Copy all files with names of the form ape_<account-id>.db (e.g. ape_1234567890.db) over to the 242 sub-folder, overwriting any files there.

5) Run Editor. It should show all accounts grayed out, just like it did when it ran for the first time after upgrade. You'd have to re-download all accounts once again - but this time, when the account opens after the download, it'll prompt you to import changes from prior version.

6) If you've exported a backup file on step #1, import it now.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Just updated into version 11.6.1, I guess the previous one has the most recent as I always keep it up to date.