AdWords
5.7K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Editor 12.0.3 - way too slow, crashes constantly, not fit for purpose - how can I get 11.12?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So I've been using AdWords Editor 12.0.2 since yesterday. It's not been enjoyable. The editor is way too slow.

In the time I've been changing the campaign type for 4 campaigns to 'Seach Network Only', I have:

• Researched where I can download the older version
  • Checked the forum if I'm the only one that has this problem (my colleague struggles too - so do others)
  • Installed a new browser
  • Downloaded all my content to Chrome (new install)
  • Completed my registration to this forum
  • Posted this!

I guess what I'm saying: changing the 4 campaign types took less than a few seconds before and now takes more than 10 minutes. That is not acceptable at all.

I have also uploaded some changes into AdWords Editor the whole day. This is something that took mere minutes before...

Where can I get an older version of AdWords Editor?

Can Google make the older versions still supported available for download somewhere?

Is Google aware of the speed issues and can Google fix the issues in the next version?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris M
July

AdWords Editor 12.0.3 - way too slow, crashes constantly, not fit for purpose - how can I get 11.12?

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Could you please try the following:

1. Upgrade to Editor 12.0.3 if you haven't already. You may have been prompted by now, you might just need to close and restart Editor. If not, you could download it from https://adwords.google.com/home/tools/adwords-editor/ . You can see the version at the bottom right of account window, and also in Help > About dialog.

2. Run Get Recent Changes > Basic (faster) on the account you have the problem with. I think, but am not 100% sure, that this should fix the issue.

3. If Get Recent Changes didn't help, do Account > Full download. I have high confidence that would help.

Note that this would lose any unposted changes. If you have any that you care about, export them first (Account > Export > Export whole account, in Save As Type select "Account sharing snapshots (*.aes)" ), and after download import them back (Account > Import > From file)

4. If even that doesn't help, please fill out this form:

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/contact/awe_gen

If and when you do, post back to this thread to let me know: I'll look up and take the support case.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think part of the problem may be the size of our accounts. One has 500k keywords, 700k ads. The other 1.1m keywords, 700k ads.

We do not have a Kenshoo / Marin / DfS product, so AdWords Editor was our secret weapon to manage such sizeable accounts.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Chris M
July

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Could you please try the following:

1. Upgrade to Editor 12.0.3 if you haven't already. You may have been prompted by now, you might just need to close and restart Editor. If not, you could download it from https://adwords.google.com/home/tools/adwords-editor/ . You can see the version at the bottom right of account window, and also in Help > About dialog.

2. Run Get Recent Changes > Basic (faster) on the account you have the problem with. I think, but am not 100% sure, that this should fix the issue.

3. If Get Recent Changes didn't help, do Account > Full download. I have high confidence that would help.

Note that this would lose any unposted changes. If you have any that you care about, export them first (Account > Export > Export whole account, in Save As Type select "Account sharing snapshots (*.aes)" ), and after download import them back (Account > Import > From file)

4. If even that doesn't help, please fill out this form:

If and when you do, post back to this thread to let me know: I'll look up and take the support case.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

We have identified the root cause of the issue, and are working on a fix. We plan to release Editor 12.0.4 early next week - it will eliminate the problem going forward, and also retroactively fix all affected accounts.

Meanwhile, Account > Full download, or removing and re-adding the account from Accounts Manager window, would fix the problem in Editor 12.0.3, so you don't need to wait for 12.0.4 release.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm using 12.0.4, just installed it today, 8/5/2017. It is unusable! I can not download my (very large) client center accounts. I'm getting socket timeouts. Very frustrating. I tried deleting all adwords data and editor directories (windows) and re-installing. Still have a problem. Just logging in and grabbing my account names takes 5-10 minutes. 

OK - Update - I downgraded to Adwords Editor 11.8 and everything works just fine. My accounts are downloading really quickly. I do not think you fixed the issues with your 12.0.4 release. 12.0.4 is unusable for large accounts which is the whole point behind the editor..

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hello James,

Could you please fill out this form?

Please post back to the thread after you do, so I could look up the support case. We'd like to try and figure out why you are having this difficulties.