AdWords
1.8K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Ad preview

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Lately I experience some strange problems within the Ad Preview tool. The tool says that ads are not shown because of ad rank. But most of the time the keywords have a QS of 9/10 or 10/10 a max CPC above Top of Page bid and there is enough budget. Furthermore if I search online (realtime) then the ads is showing. I see the problem with different accounts. What is it and what can I do of will it be solved? (Some clients asking questions about it.)

2 Expert replyverified_user

Ad preview

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I assume you have checked that you are previewing it from the country/territory that your targeting? If it's still not giving you details then I would run keyword diagnostic to see if there are any other issues.

Ad preview

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Margreet U,

Your Ad Rank is recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear and competes in an auction, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

If you have selected a particular location in the ad preview tool, you will get the real time status of that specific location. Might be most of the competitors are targeting that location and you have lower ad rank as compared to those competitors. Hence, your ad for any particular search term in that location is unable to trigger.

Please note that apart from CPC bid and QS, Google also considers the impact of ad extensions to assign the ad rank during the real time auction. So, other competitors may get the advantage and win the ad auction.

But when you search live on the Google domain of any particular country, the scenario may gets changed. 

Now, the possibilities are less competitors targeting that location from where you are searching live. Hence, you wins the auction and able to see the ad.

For example:

You can face the same problem when your campaign's targeting location is UK but in ad preview tool you have selected London and searching live from Nottingham.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Re: Ad preview

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for responding.

Yes I have checked the targeting in the tool, that was correct. I also did
the Keyword diagnosis and it is saying the same thing - low ad rank. But I
find that hard to believe with all the different keywords I have checked
with QS of 9/10 en 10/10 enough budget, CPC above 'first page bid' and
Impression Share around 80%. Furthermore I checked at different times of a
day and different days, my client has checked it several times and each
time it says no ad because of low ad rank.

--
www.daaromm.nl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for responding.

I know and understand what you are saying, but I find that hard to believe
with all the different keywords I have checked with QS of 9/10 en 10/10
enough budget, CPC above 'first page bid' and Impression Share above 80%.

Furthermore I checked at different times of a day and different days, my
client has checked it several times and each time it says no ad because of
low ad rank.

I've tried it with several account and keywords. Even with keyword with
impression share of 96% it says 'no ad is showing, due to low ad rank'.

​I know in theorie that is possible, but as I said earlier I find that hard
to believe. Does anyone experience the same problem?

Greetings Margreet

--
www.daaromm.nl

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Margreet

May i ask if your keyword(s) estimated 'FIRST POSITION bid' is being displayed? (please ensure you do not get this confused with first page estimate, and top of page estimate)

I contacted support last week and they are aware of a technical issue with the system being unable to calculate some of a keywords estimated page bid values.

Ive been advised it may take a few weeks to resolve!

Ad preview

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Margreet U;

first page bid is an estimate that could have a very broad margin of error and should be considered only as the "first shot" or a ROUGH estimate. In competitive verticals you may find yourself quite often bidding much higher to get your ad shown.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’