AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Activated AdWords by mistake

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, about three months ago my brother activated an AdWord account without really knowing what he was doing and without knowing he started paying to display ads (he says it does not remember entering the card credential for AdWord but maybe they were already linked to his google account for buying on google play). Then he forgot about AdWord and also never done anything with the website he created (it's empty it was just a test). Yestarday he found out his card was empty and discovered it is because of this AdWord account.

So, he never used or knew the service was active and he was paying.

Is there anything that could be done in this regard?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you received the service, it is pretty hard to argue for a refund. There are a number of steps to creating an ad, including the billing details. It should be clear to the person that they are making ads and that they pay for them.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there,

If he uploaded display ads and chose targeting it would hard for Google to decide he never intended for the ads to run.

Can anyone verify that billing details don't need to be entered if you have an attached Google Play account? This seems odd to me.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, the google play thing was my assumption since I couldn't talk to him when i created this post and i haven't yet created an adword account. 

So this morning i tested and it actually ask you explicitly for you card info. I have sent him a screenshot about that part and asked if he remembers about it. He said he thought that was for receiving money.

I think he knew there was a google service that would allow you to make money through ads and thought that was it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, do you think there is nothing that can be done about it? Cause the lost is of about 4500 euro and that is quite a lot of money to lose.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by James_Clemens (Top Contributor)
March 2017

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

If you received the service, it is pretty hard to argue for a refund. There are a number of steps to creating an ad, including the billing details. It should be clear to the person that they are making ads and that they pay for them.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi @chippolo,

Rob is correct. Google AdWords cannot be accidentally started, so Google is not to blame and so there is nothing they should/could do. 

Sorry that your brother spent the funds.

All the Best,

James