AdWords
4.4K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Account suspended even though I haven't used AdWords for years

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few (maybe 4 or so) years ago I created some ad on Google AdWords. I don't even remember what it was correctly. I had to add some money into my account and upon each click, some money would be deducted from my balance. The ad wasn't for a business or anything (maybe some site). After a while I forgot about it and Google never reminded me that I had an ad running. 

All of a sudden, after so long, I received an email today from Google saying my ads are violating their policies and my account will be suspended if I don't take action. So I sent support a message saying that I haven't created any ads recently, so how can I be violating any rules. After a while I got a computer generated message saying my account has been suspended. They didn't reply to my message directly. 

So I logged into my AdWords account and saw those ads. In total they were 3 and I don't remember creating that many. I can't see any balance amount on the site and I even tried to see the date I created those ads, but I couldn't see history from more than 2 years ago. 

What should I do now? How can I get the suspension lifted? I haven't done anything wrong. Those ads should have expired years ago. Please help. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The past violation must be fixed (regardless of the number of years which have elapsed). Until you fix that violation  you will not be allowed to advertise with Google.

So, the first step would be to find that past account ad fix the violation 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will everything be ok if I delete those ads?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nope; The violations must be fixed

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the report it stated that the issue was "Destination mismatch". Maybe the site that my ad was pointing to had some changes. 

I deleted all the ads. Does this fix the violation?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Destination mismatch is not a reason for an account suspension

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

In the email they told me to fix that specific issue ie "destination mismatch" only, but when i logged into AdWords and saw the listings, one of the ads had "site suspended" or something similar. 

After that the only email I received was the one that told me my account was suspended, without stating the reason.

Why would they call "destination mismatch" a violation in the email, when it is not according to you?

I can email you a screenshot of that portion of the mail. 

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

And what is the status of the site you were promoting? Is it still the same content, and the links in your ads point to active pages?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't remember what kind of content or which site it pointed to. I created those a long time ago. Back then I joined some affiliate program, so I had to promote some websites. 

The only errors I saw was, one of the ads had "site suspended" and the other had "destination mismatch". 

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

If you have logged into the account, then you can see the ads and where they are pointing.

Destination mismatch is probably related to your affiliate links and not a major issue - new ads fix that.

Site suspensions are the real issue. If it is a site you don't control, you can't fix the problem. If the site no longer exists, you can't fix it (unless you are able to buy the domain name...)