AdWords
2.4K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

Account suspended (2009), do I still have any chance of getting back in?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

In 2009 I was direct linking to an affiliate offer. At around that time Adwords introduced new policies, the advertiser landing page I linked to violated those and thus my account was suspended.

I got an Adwords rep on the phone and asked if there would be a way to get back in. He said in order to reinstate my account I have to make changes to the landing page that caused the violation. I explained how that was not my site, I was just an affiliate buying traffic for that website and had no access to it so can't make any changes. Basically end of story, he couldn't help me.

Has anything changed since then? There were multiple occasions in my career since then where it would have been very useful being able to use Adwords and I really want to get in. Is there any way I can get my account back (or a new one) or do I have to move on for good?

I'm happy to do anything necessary and I have moved past affiliate direct linking nonsense long ago. Would appreciate some help with this.

Best,

Alex

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Alex,

Sorry, but nothing has changed. To get the suspension lifted you have to fix the original problem. Other people have had a similar situation where they have let the domain name expire and can't fix the old site. 

Google doesn't usually make exceptions, but the long time frame could help - see Moshe's answer

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Alex B;

In a rare circumstance Google might consider un-suspension due to the long time elapsed.

Are you logging into the community using the email account of the AdWords account?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply RobSkelton. I find it very disappointing, in situations where you obviously have no control over the target site why doesn't Google make an exception for this. I'd be glad to do what they're asking for but it's just physically impossible.

Thanks MosheTLV, that gives me a tiny glimpse of hope. Yes, the account I'm using to post this response is the same as my Adwords account. Why?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Alex B

I will  ask Google  to recheck the case due to the time elapsed, whether falls under the criteria.  (Tracked using the  AdWords address, - the same as your Community log in.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Wow thanks @MosheTLV, really appreciate that! Looking forward to what they say.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Alex B;

>>"He said in order to reinstate my account I have to make changes to the landing page that caused the violation. I explained how that was not my site, I was just an affiliate buying traffic for that website and had no access to it so can't make any changes"

This still applies.

Google will consider reinstating the account only if you make a change to the business model. In other words: change the content  of the landing page.

I'm sorry.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe. So the Google rep said this still applies despite so many years having passed? Guess I'm out of luck then. 1 mistake and punished for life, great. Appreciate your help and wish you all the best.