AdWords
2.3K members online now
For issues or questions regarding logging in, account access, or account security
Guide Me
star_border

2 agencies, 2 accounts, 1 domain

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

We (a communication agency) are about to start an ongoing Adwords campaign for one of our clients. 

The problem is that another agency is already working for this client and managing Adwords campaign for them. They are mostly running Youtube pre-rolls for commercial spots. 

We on the other hand are planning to focus on search campaigns. 

My question is: would these two accounts interfere and/or violate any Adwords policy? 

Our initial thought was that they would, so we suggested to the other agency to invite us under their MCC but they refused because of potential billing and administration issues. 

Is there any legitimate workaround? 

Thank you!

Csaba

5 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 2 agencies, 2 accounts, 1 domain

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Csaba K

It's okay for the client to have two different client managers. It's a good idea to label campaigns by agency.  Change history will keep tabs on who does what.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@Csaba K;

This is a nice question...

Since  what was previously known as double serving (and now known as "gain unfair advantage") does not apply to the display network, as long as you keep,  one agency (only) advertising on display and another (only) on Serach - you are fine.

Having said that:  experience as shown that usually at one point,  the display account manager expands to search campaigns.  At this point, when one business uses  two accounts, both promoting the same products, targeted to the same  audience  - this is a clear violation.

PS: on Display, unlike Search,  you can  structure  a "fine tuned" campaign and get more than one banner shown on the same web page.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Csaba K,

To follow with @MosheTLV here, in general my opinion is that these sort of practices should be avoided. Honestly, I haven't followed this ever.

Double Serving is an important AdWords Policy and we should abide by it.

My Thoughts!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Plus - the other agency can give you MCC access to the account without you having access to any of their other accounts... so that's not really an argument.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hey Csaba,

Since the targeting on both your accounts is different, they will not interfere with each other. You are officially allowed to do this.
The double sering policy comes in to the picture only when you try and compete for the same domain using 2 different accounts for the same auction.
So for example - I can have 1 account for YouTube. Account B for Search and Account C for GDN. This is completely okay to do.
We sometimes also have accounts segregated according to geo regions also - for example - Account A for India, Account B for US etc.

As long as you dont compete in the same auction, this is okay to do.

There are pros and cons for each of this structuring and I would recommend you evaluate this before having multiple accounts.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, very helpful answer!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks a lot, Shweta, it all makes sense, that is the solution we are going with. All the best!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

A  small correction   to @ShroffS's reply: (a broader  look at the scenario) 

You do not necessarily have to promote the same domain: promoting the same product, to the same audience from different  accounts using different domains by the same business entity, is also a violation.

The key is the  audiences targeted and the product promoted, regardless of  of the domain(s) used.

So, if you are planning to use different domains, promoting the same products, to the same targeted audience - this is a violation. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
As a rule of thumb, ask yourself this question...

If a single person ran a single search could more than one of my ads - from any of my accounts - possibly be displayed? If the answer is no, you're gold, if the answer is... well, maybe - then you are in violation.