AdWords
5.5K members online now
5.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

why can Walmart advertise a product they do not sell?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Life Abundance Pet Food

141 reviews for walmart.com

Save on Pet Foods at Walmart
& all Your Pet Care Needs!

7,330 people +1'd or follow Walmart

I have looked at Ad policies and the ad and keywords must be relevant and the product be searchabke or found on the landing page. Keyword search was "Lifes Abundance Dog Food". Many of the advertisers that show do not sell this product which is only sold through distributors like me.

I have tried to get an answer from Adwords but they won;t respond. My ads usually fall below these advertisers.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: why can Walmart advertise a product they do not sell?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi bonnieru,

Unfortunelay there are som many things that go into this but suffice to say, the landign page they are sending to is a search result on the Walmart site. This creates a fairly high relavancy even though the exact product itself is not listed.

Walmart is pretty agressive with expanding their keywords and they also use dynamic keyword insertion a lot, which makes it appear to the end user that indeed their ad is relevant.

For example, one of my nonprofit clients reports on pet food recalls and that is one of the terms that we bid on. So does Walmart, but due to how they manage their AdWords campaigns they get ads with headlines such as: "Recalled Pet Food at Walmart" and descriptions of "Save on Recalled Pet Food with Walmart's Everyday Low Prices."

I even posted on G+ about it: https://plus.google.com/114604500083182965753/posts/63HQSaZSH1x

All the best,

Robert