AdWords
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

two client accounts overlap on some keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I would like to know if I am going to have some legal/adwords issues with this.

two client accounts

1) database developer

2) web designer

Both of them offer mobile app development services and so their keywords are same for about 15% of their campaigns.

Aside from the protentiall legal issues and conflict of interests I may have (I don't). Are there any Adwords rules I need to be aware of with this?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: two client accounts overlap on some keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

Yeah, you may well bump into Google's double-serving policy. Be very cautious else multiple violations may result in penalties, including account suspension.

http://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2600168

Best,

Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi morecaffeine, you run an MCC don't you?  These are your clients, not your own accounts, so I don't believe double-serving applies, you're asking a question more along the lines of having two hotel clients in the same town?

I came close to this once - I had two holiday cottage companies operating within 10 miles of each other here in the UK.  Fortunately for me one of them decided Adwords was too expensive (fool) so the question never came up, but if it had I was ready (I think).  For me the trick was to work out what set the two companies apart.  If one could be called "Luxury", was the other "Affordable"?  If one was on the coast you could promote that aspect, the other is on the Moors, so promote that.

I think in your case you'll have to focus on their core skills - exactly what you've described as points 1 and 2.  

One interesting other option is to talk to both clients and see if they'd consider joint advertising.  Many web projects require a designed and a db developer so if they could agree you could run a third campaign advertising both skills and have them share the work.  May be tough getting their agreement but they'd have the advantage of a shared budget/halved costs...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If you have both accounts on MCC, double-serving does not apply. If you run these from you own account, then you have a problem. Only one ad will show for any one search. This may make each client question why their ads only show half the time.

But your question is more of a conflict of interest issue. Frankly, Google won't/shouldn't care if you have two clients in the same business. I know of no rules in Adwords concerning this issue.

However, as a matter of practice, you shouldn't have two clients in the same business, at least the same and targeting the same geographic area. That's the conflict of interest, as far as the clients are concerned. You can't look after each's best interests if they are competing against each other.

Cobnut said to concentrate on their other skills which I agree with. That is, everything but the mobile app development side of their businesses. The joint venture angle is interesting too.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Thanks Jon and Lucid for highlighting the difference between running a master account or an MCC.