AdWords
4.1K members online now
4.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

trademark issue

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have just placed an add that promotes our latest app Flick. which allows the transfer of files/documents etc across a  number of platforms over Wifi and Bluetooth for iOS.  It is an iOS app, OS X app, Windows app, Linux App, and the Android one is almost ready. The ad was not approved.

So here is the problem.. How do a tell people what the app does in an add if I can't refer to any of the above or iPhone, iPad, Mac, PC ... surely the use of these terms are not a violation of trademark but rather a generic description of the devices the app works on. Can someone please advise. Example of the add below.

Regards

Eric

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: trademark issue

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi;

Read the trademark policy for advertisers;

https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562645#

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. Still not clear to me why the ad would not be approved. It goes to a site related to the products ( http://getflick.io ) and how our app works on those products. I fail to see how referring to a product in a generic sense constitutes a violation of a trade mark. Anyway, having read the trade mark policy again I found a link to enquire directly with Google.  Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You need to apply for authorization to use the trade name; (Those are trade-names!)

If you are not authorized by the trade-name owner to use the trade name in the ad-text; You cannot use it,

(See detailed explanation about the process in the link I provided)

• "If you're an agency, affiliate, franchise, dealership, regional branch, or subsidiary, you'll need to have the trademark owner's headquarters submit an authorization for each of your accounts using our trademark authorization form . You can also have the trademark owner grant permission for you to submit future authorizations and trademark complaints on the owner's behalf. The owner should send us a notice directly to ads-trademarks@google.com that your entity is "authorized to act on our behalf with respect to Google AdWords trademark matters."

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. I do understand what trade names are, as are most products we refer to in every day use. I don't want to get into a debate about this or the policy as it is written. I am simply looking for a way to advertise our product (app) that works/runs on those devices, not any of the devices themselves. Thanks for the application form and will consider applying but figure that by the time the process has completed itself the opportunity would be lost.

So, in the mean time I would like to advertise my product and have changed to be the following. What do you think? Think the first one may get most attention. Smiley Happy

Flick.
Simple, hassle free file transfer
btw forbidden fruit &window,penguin

or 

Flick.
Simple, hassle free file transfer
btw tablets, s phones, desktops

A genuine thanks for assisting.

Regards
Eric

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Any ad-copy would (technically) work as long as it does not include a trade-name in the ad text;

However; If you do not include thetrade-name,work on anattractiveandappealingtext,so that it will attract the useralthough thebrandis not mentioned in the text. (It's a bit hard to sell a product without explicitly mentioning the name in the text.)