AdWords
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

site is suspended, <mistakenly> classified as a weapon

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

At our site, we sell all kinds of underwater equipment - stuff for scuba diving, snorkeling, underwater photo/video and spearfishing equipment. The spearfishing equipment includes, among other things, spearfishing guns.

Lately, the site became suspended, After contacting Adwords support we found that, apparently, the site was suspended because of the advertising of the dangerous products "like guns and parts are in the website" .

I tried to explain that spearfishing guns are not actually guns and they are not exactly dangerous. The chat support person told me that when google robot finds word "gun" on the web site, the site gets suspended.

I don't understand that. I see that other sites advertise nail guns. I see other sites advertise spear guns.

We never advertise spearguns. The campaigns we had were for general scuba diving stuff and some underwater photo equipment and yet, the site got suspended

How can it be resolved?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: site is suspended, <mistakenly> classified as a weapon

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Guns of all sorts:  either for recreational activities or as weapons are not allowed.

You'll have to remove these items from the site.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1. Speargun is not a gun

2. We never advertise the spearguns. 

3. At the same time, I see that other companies not only have spearguns on the websites, but they actually Capture.JPG

actively advertise them with Adwords (just type "spearguns" in the google search) 

But I don't see amazon.com suspended.    

So it is either a hypocrisy and Google Adwords support team is full of s--t, or Amazon has enough clout (and legal power) to get somebody at Google with brains to make intelligent decision  

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also, the site is mostly dedicated to various underwater equipment (mask, fins, snorkels, regulators, tanks, BCD, underwater photo and video equipment, wetsuits and so on.)
The spearguns are just a small, tiny part. It was never a landing page

So how is it a reason to completely suspend the whole site in Adwords?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

from Wikipedia:

A speargun, also known as a scuba gun,[1] is an underwater fishing implement designed to fire a spear at fish or other underwater animals or targets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speargun

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV, it is a very interesting and entertaining article.

But unless I am mistaken, it does not answer any of the following questions:
why is the whole site suspended, even though majority of the site dedicated to non-speargun equipment?
why is the whole site suspended even though spearguns were never advertised or used as ads landing page?
why is plenty of other sites not only have spearguns but are able to openly advertise spearguns using Adwords?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Oleg G

I would encourage you to read the Policy entirley;
Your landing page must comply with the policy regardless of the items promoted.
Once any clause of the Policy is in violation the entire site or account (depending on the circumstances) is suspended.
I cannot comment on a site I have not checked. (Reviewing a site for compliance is a tremendous work which is beyond our scope.)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
@MosheTLV

I have read the policy. I fail to see where the site http://www.cherepahi.com/ is violating the dangerous goods policy so the whole site is suspended
I also could not help but notice that for a second time, you are avoiding my direct question why is plenty of other sites not only have spearguns on their pages but are able to openly advertise spearguns using Adwords? Is there a special policy for companies that have more clout?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Oleg G;

Quote:

>>"I also could not help but notice that for a second time, you are avoiding my direct question why is plenty of other sites not only have spearguns on their pages but are able to openly advertise spearguns using Adwords? Is there a special policy for companies that have more clout?"

There might be a misunderstanding here. I do NOT work at Google. I am an advertiser, as you are, with my own advertising agency.  We  are volunteers on this community.  So, I have no control over Google's policy (though  I provide  Google some feedback on policy issues) nor I have control over the protocol by which the site is checked.

As mentioned, I have not checked the sites you are mentioning, since this is beyond the scope of our activities as volunteers here. I can say, though, that  in terms of the Policy, all advertisers are equal:  big advertisers and small, alike.

If you think there were  violations on a competitor site, you could feel a complaint using this link;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/176378?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I know you don't work for Google, I have checked your profile.

Supposedly "that in terms of the Policy, all advertisers are equal for all" , but my experience, as you can see, is quite different. I also have not intention of going after every site that has and/or advertise spearguns . This is not a solution for my problem (not to mention that there are way too many of sites with spearguns to go after all of them, which tells me that all advertisers are equal but some are more equal then other)

This is how I see the situation:

There are plenty of other sites advertising spearguns. These sites content is in english. Obviously since these sites are actively advertise, Google adwords deemed these sites policy-complaint.

My site is in russian language. Adwords support is using automatic translation tools while accessing the site (I saw it from the screenshots they provided). Perhaps the limitation of the translation tools makes it difficult for support to fully evaluate the site to see that it does not violate the policy.(or perhaps it is just overall ineptness of the support?)

So the whole site is blocked and there is no place to get help. Apparently you can advertise spearguns (or nail guns) as long as it is english or your company is big enough, but if you are small or using other language then you are screwed