AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

"Uploaded Ad contains HTML 5 code that we can not allow" Error Message

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I hope that this can help some people encounter an error concerning unsupported; tags, HTML 5 code when trying to upload your creatives created in Google Web Designer, or even in other editing software as well.

firsterror.png

We contacted AdWords Support with the first error, and received this as a solution to fix our problem concerning HTML 5 tags that aren't support by Google AdWords policy. Which can be seen below, as well.

supportemail.png

Given that this workaround is great, but as expected our Graphic Designer was not happy with the workarounds. Having to convert all the SVG files to either PNG or JPEG would mean that he would have to reanimate the whole advert as he would need to import a whole new assets folder. However, after some testing; myself, our Technical Director, and Graphic Designer came to the conclusion that all the unsupported meta tags are namespace metadata.

Basically, when we created the images in Abode Illustrator, and then would import then into an asset folder; where he would then animate them in Google Web Designer. Adobe Illustrator would save Illustrator-specific information into the SVG file, so Illustrator could pick up where it left off the next time the file in question is opened again. This is a proprietary function that is not supported through SVG. To get a little better understanding of this, Adobe would place said tags as namespace tags; because SVG is a subset of XML, so it has certain tags defined in the language itself. The mechanism itself is called name-spacing that allows people to add custom tags; - Adobe Illustrator to name one - would have to be defined externally, so the SVG contains a reference to that external definition.

As per the Google Ad Policy -see screenshot(s) below- for HTML 5 ads that are created in Google Web Designer, the limitations are as follows:

policy1.png

And further down the support page, there is also this more informative snippet piece of information that expands on the Limitations, more specifically; the "All images used in HTML 5 ads must be local images, not referenced images, and should be part of the assets that comprise the ZIP file." 

policy2.png

Now with the Upload Requirements is blocking all namespace tags found not in just the HTML source it self, but also with the SVG file(s), and all other files as well with the ZIP file. Basically there can't be any reference to outside sources; unless Google supports them. 

In addition to the aforementioned workarounds supplied by the Google AdWords Technical Team, we here at Optimize Worldwide, use a text editor to search our Zip file for namespace tags with our HTML 5 advert, and remove them accordingly. To do this, we recommend that you copy the file to your desktop, and using a text editor - we use sublime text- to find and replace the namespace tag(s). Now, to my knowledge, there is no set list of tags that you can reference for unsupported tags from Google, but one way we go about it is uploading it to Google AdWords, and then searching for the returned unsupported tag. However, we believe that the this list would be a great place to start in familiarizing yourself with namespace metadata as well.

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/SVG/Element

I hope this helps, and points some people in the right direction, or even bring someone much more smarter than myself; to provide clear, accurate data, and information to this issue that some people are experiencing. Maybe more specific support documentation will also come from this, and making using Google AdWords, and Google Web Desinger more streamlined. 

I am looking forward to hearing your questions and/or concerns about this.

Cheers,

EDIT: Added photos in hope to able to view.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "Uploaded Ad contains HTML 5 code that we can not allow"

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Derek,

Thanks for sharing this detailed info to the Community based on your team's experience!

I can't see the images on my end (it looks like they may not have come through)--maybe try linking to screenshots instead?

Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, I will most certainly do so. Thank you for the heads up.
The screenshots can be see here in the order that they should appear in the documentation.
http://imgur.com/a/fhK1o

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello, Derek.

I'm going to have to be brief, but I successfully managed to work with SVG, generated from Illustrator, into HTML5 by making sure that when I exported the .ai file I exported CSS properties as presentation attributes, without any CSS in it.

The code for the svg asset that worked is this:

<svg version="1.1" id="Layer_1" xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink" x="0px" y="0px"
width="300px" height="250px" viewBox="0 0 300 250" enable-background="new 0 0 300 250" xml:space="preserve">
<circle fill="#FBB040" stroke="#000000" stroke-width="11.3386" stroke-miterlimit="10" cx="150" cy="129.138" r="72"/>
</svg>

Note the namespace reference that, at that time, went through and I could upload the ad.

So, from my experience, I'd say that the workflow should be the following:
- keep the .ai source as the master file to which you refer for any subsequent editing.
- save the SVG without any CSS, but rather with attributes

Hope it helps.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello AdWiser,

Thanks for the input. I don't know how much frustration has accrued when my team and myself were running into these errors.

And when we eventually found out what was causing them, we thought to post our findings, to help give some direction to those that may experience the same thing as us.

Thank you for your feedback. Smiley Happy