AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.4K members online now
2.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

"SDK" abbreviation trademarked? Ridiculous.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear google,

SDK is an industry-adopted abbreviation of "Software Development Kit", used in particular by Google ( http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html ) and described on Wikipedia. This is NOT a trademark.

Several attempts to trademark this term failed: search for "SDK" on USPTO shows no live trademarks for "SDK".

Consequently, disapproving adds based on the fact that they use an industry-wide term is ridiculous.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "SDK" abbreviation trademarked? Ridiculous.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

I agree; However; looking at the US trademark office website - I do find SDK as a tradename

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's DEAD there.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well...some are dead and some are live;

We need to see the ad-text;

Can you share?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Search on USPTO doesn't show LIVE for "SDK" (indeed there are live TMs like "SomethingSDK" or "SDKXYZ".

My disapproved ads were like this:

Need a filesystem filter?

File system Filter Driver SDK

for Windows and .NET applications

I have changed them, but if we offer an SDK, and people are used to take SDK to accomplish the task, why the hassle?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I will refer the case to Google;

It seems that you are correct;

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree. I just had some ads disapproved  because of this. But SDK is a common term in the software developers world. It means software developerment kit. Any developer knows that. Thats what they search for

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
+1. Happened to me today, I had to stop mentioning SDK in order to get the ads running. SDK is so widely accepted in the dev world, this is limiting reaching out to prospect customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_kit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
+1 ... agreed this is stupid. I too have been blocked by this. silly silly

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! Has there been any progress on this since the thread was started? Just saw my whole campaign disapproved due to this issue.