AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

"SDK" abbreviation trademarked? Ridiculous.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dear google,

SDK is an industry-adopted abbreviation of "Software Development Kit", used in particular by Google ( http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html ) and described on Wikipedia. This is NOT a trademark.

Several attempts to trademark this term failed: search for "SDK" on USPTO shows no live trademarks for "SDK".

Consequently, disapproving adds based on the fact that they use an industry-wide term is ridiculous.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: "SDK" abbreviation trademarked? Ridiculous.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

I agree; However; looking at the US trademark office website - I do find SDK as a tradename

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's DEAD there.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Well...some are dead and some are live;

We need to see the ad-text;

Can you share?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Search on USPTO doesn't show LIVE for "SDK" (indeed there are live TMs like "SomethingSDK" or "SDKXYZ".

My disapproved ads were like this:

Need a filesystem filter?

File system Filter Driver SDK

for Windows and .NET applications

I have changed them, but if we offer an SDK, and people are used to take SDK to accomplish the task, why the hassle?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I will refer the case to Google;

It seems that you are correct;

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree. I just had some ads disapproved  because of this. But SDK is a common term in the software developers world. It means software developerment kit. Any developer knows that. Thats what they search for

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
+1. Happened to me today, I had to stop mentioning SDK in order to get the ads running. SDK is so widely accepted in the dev world, this is limiting reaching out to prospect customers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_kit

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
+1 ... agreed this is stupid. I too have been blocked by this. silly silly

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks! Has there been any progress on this since the thread was started? Just saw my whole campaign disapproved due to this issue.