AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

! punctuation not allowed on each line?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

! punctuation not allowed on each line?

I was told if line 1 has a !, and line 2 has a ! then it violates the repeat punctuation rule. I ask here because so far Google India support have been correct 0 times from 4 issues I've asked them. The actual rules page never says that.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: ! punctuation not allowed on each line?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Greenbear521,
AdWords doesn't allow ad text that uses non-standard, gimmicky, or unnecessary punctuation, numbers, letters, symbols, capitalization, or repetition of words or phrases; incorrect grammar or spelling; or inappropriate spacing between words or punctuation.

The following uses of punctuation and symbols are examples of what is not allowed in ad text:
Exclamation mark in the ad's headline
Repeated punctuation or symbols
Symbols, numbers, and letters that don't adhere to their true meaning or purpose
Non-standard use of superscripts
Non-standard symbols or characters
Bullet points

For More information Read this adwords policy
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176095

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author greenbear521
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello. Don't ask for a link, but I know for a fact that you can only use one exclamation mark per ad, in either of the description lines. Not on each of them, not two in any one of them and definitely not in the title.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hello Greenbear521,
AdWords doesn't allow ad text that uses non-standard, gimmicky, or unnecessary punctuation, numbers, letters, symbols, capitalization, or repetition of words or phrases; incorrect grammar or spelling; or inappropriate spacing between words or punctuation.

The following uses of punctuation and symbols are examples of what is not allowed in ad text:
Exclamation mark in the ad's headline
Repeated punctuation or symbols
Symbols, numbers, and letters that don't adhere to their true meaning or purpose
Non-standard use of superscripts
Non-standard symbols or characters
Bullet points

For More information Read this adwords policy
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/176095

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Yes I've read that.

It's not in the ad's headline
It's not Repeated punctuation or symbols
It's not Symbols, numbers, and letters that don't adhere to their true meaning or purpose
It's not Non-standard use of superscripts
It's not Non-standard symbols or characters
It's not Bullet points

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello,

Are you getting a warning message while composing text ad in the adwords interface?

Is it possible for you to share the ad copy content which you are trying to create?

As Suman pointed above, the policy is clear and you need to adhere to it, then only ad will be approved. Also refer to the examples section in the policy link. That will clarify more.

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I had a showing ad. I changed the last line to
"Call now! Starts $100"
then all my ads were disabled.
I asked support and they said can't have 2x ! in the same ad.

Clearly none of the other rules were violated, and none of the many examples in the rules page applied.
I don't know if the claim of

line 2 really good product !
line 3 call to action !

means it violates the repeat rule. This "call to action" thing doesn't seem used by many anyway. Maybe it's useless.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
OK the AdWords Accepted Solution doesn't actually answer the question at all.

If line 1 has a !, and line 2 has a ! then does it violate the repeat punctuation rule?

The answer is YES or NO, not a list of rules I've said I read before asking the question.
Is it one of those secret things we're not allowed to ask or know?

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Repeated punctuation or symbols are not allowed in ad text. I have already mention in previous post.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I already said they were on 2 separate lines. Does that make it repeating? YES or NO?
You can repeat the rules page 100 times but it doesn't answer MY SPECIFIC question.

Have you yourself looked at the page you linked to?

"Cheap laptops for sale!!
>>>Find the lowest price"

The definition of repeat there is "!!". NEXT to each other. Not twice in an ad. I'm sorry but I feel like I'm talking to a call center where you keep repeating the same line that doesn't answer the question.

Did you see this allowed example?

"Great prices on 5* hotels.
See us in "Hotel Experts" magazine"

See the " marks TWICE in the same line? Is that not repeated punctuation by your claim then?
Because clearly if you can use the same punctuation TWICE in the same line then ONCE on EACH line can't possibly be banned. I'm calling BS on support because they too only repeat form answers for every query. I'm looking for a real answer, not another form answer here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author greenbear521
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello. Don't ask for a link, but I know for a fact that you can only use one exclamation mark per ad, in either of the description lines. Not on each of them, not two in any one of them and definitely not in the title.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks that's the exact specifics I was after.