AdWords
6.1K members online now
6.1K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

product listing ads - monopolised

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not sure if I am in the right forum so apologies if I am not

My question is how do you handle a competitor who will just price you

right out of the market

They are now monopolising the 5 top ads on practically every product

Type -  OFFICE DESKS into Google UK and the top 5 pics show 3 companies they are

all the same company.

Try - ERGONOMIC OFFICE CHAIR  same company again - there is no choice,  it looks as if

the customer has options but really no matter who they choose they still get the same store just with a different name.

Any ideas or is it just dig deeper into our wallet Smiley Sad

john

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John M
September 2015

Re: product listing ads - monopolised

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi John, 

The same seller can have a number of different PLAs showing different products for the same search. The user benefits from seeing a diverse range of products, prices, colours etc regardless of the seller of the product. It would be against our policies if the same product was shown by the same seller multiple times. 

An increased bid isn't the only way to improve the performance of your PLAs. Try optimising your feed too, particularly your product descriptions. That's the bread and butter of any PLA campaign.

Let us know if you have any other questions, 

Hannah

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, John. I'm not convinced that the case you're presenting qualifies for double serving. And, in your case, if it weren't for those 2-3 companies showing over there, there'd be a fourth or a fifth and the effect would probably be the same.

I'm just checking one of my favorite brand + product searches (think Sony LED TVs). We currently have 1 text ad on #1 with sitelinks, 5 out of 8 product listing ads, all from the same website, of course and the only first page organic search result apart from the manufacturer website.

The closest competitors are at the bottom of the page, each with a paid ad. No competitors feature among the organic results.

That's why I'm saying that the fact that there are 1-2 companies monopolizing the ad space in your case is not too relevant.

However, there is a way out and it may involve both working on your feed and your bids. And ultimately, after you will gain some visibility, you'll have to see if the margin you're making is enough to cover for the expense of being featured at the top.

The names (titles) of your products matter, their description matters as well. The product category too. And last, but not least, the PLA campaign structure, your budgets, bids and negative keywords.

I'm pretty sure it will not be easy, but if you carve at their pedestal with enough dedication you will be able to show your ads as well at one point. How soon and how much it will cost remains to be seen.

Best of luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi John, 

The same seller can have a number of different PLAs showing different products for the same search. The user benefits from seeing a diverse range of products, prices, colours etc regardless of the seller of the product. It would be against our policies if the same product was shown by the same seller multiple times. 

An increased bid isn't the only way to improve the performance of your PLAs. Try optimising your feed too, particularly your product descriptions. That's the bread and butter of any PLA campaign.

Let us know if you have any other questions, 

Hannah

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello, John. I'm not convinced that the case you're presenting qualifies for double serving. And, in your case, if it weren't for those 2-3 companies showing over there, there'd be a fourth or a fifth and the effect would probably be the same.

I'm just checking one of my favorite brand + product searches (think Sony LED TVs). We currently have 1 text ad on #1 with sitelinks, 5 out of 8 product listing ads, all from the same website, of course and the only first page organic search result apart from the manufacturer website.

The closest competitors are at the bottom of the page, each with a paid ad. No competitors feature among the organic results.

That's why I'm saying that the fact that there are 1-2 companies monopolizing the ad space in your case is not too relevant.

However, there is a way out and it may involve both working on your feed and your bids. And ultimately, after you will gain some visibility, you'll have to see if the margin you're making is enough to cover for the expense of being featured at the top.

The names (titles) of your products matter, their description matters as well. The product category too. And last, but not least, the PLA campaign structure, your budgets, bids and negative keywords.

I'm pretty sure it will not be easy, but if you carve at their pedestal with enough dedication you will be able to show your ads as well at one point. How soon and how much it will cost remains to be seen.

Best of luck!

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I'm a little confused by a couple of things here:

A) the accepted solutions don't really seem to be answering the OP's question
B) it looks to me like the OP has a valid concern - I am seeing a negative user experience in the scenario he describes and this seems contrary to Adwords policy of providing the best experience to searchers

Clearly if choice is limited in visible ads then the searcher is getting an experience that can be boiled down to "there is only one place in our ad network that matches your intention" - but we know that this is simply not true. This is a bad experience.

Also, a very interesting article here that critiques the vague Adwords policy on this:
http://searchengineland.com/double-serving-myth-one-company-monopolize-ppc-ad-results-174330

I'm not an expert, but I'd love to hear what some of the resident experts in the community have to say on this and see if we can get closer to answering the OP.

Cheers !