AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

polls on landing page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Looking for some feedback on the info harvesting policy.

We have a newsletter and landing pages are simple and easy to digest. The idea around the office is test a poll landing page out.

In order to vote and see the results of the poll we would ask the user to sign up to the newsletter. 

Would this fly?

Re: polls on landing page

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
It depends how much user is interested in poll results.
In this case you get really great leads.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I was more looking to see if collecting emails this way would be against policy.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes, you can collect emails, but you are not allowed to use them with advertising cookies to identify individual user.
Happy New Year!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zach R
May

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Zach,

The way I understand the harvesting policy, what you want to do it not allowed. The purpose of your landing page is to ask users to answer the poll and they can do that only by providing personal details. Basically, they will not be able to interact with that page without providing personal details. This is harvesting.

This may be accepted if the page is big and the poll functionality is only marginal. But if the poll takes 90% of the page space, basically there is nothing there for the user to do, except giving personal info.

If I were you, I would wait for a more definitive answer from a Top Contributor.

Happy New Year!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
That is true what Razvan M says, but you can read this:
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6020956
and I think you should consider this part:

Promotions that directly address the user using personal information
Examples: Ads addressing a user by name, title, or job position
Specific example: "Hello John Smith - buy flowers here!"

My opinion is that you can collect emails this way. And use them afterwards in email marketing.
Kind regards.