AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

phrase keywords sent to different landing pages, is it legal?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm wanting to use phrase keywords and based on the search keywords send them to different landing pages.

For example using the phase "mens shoe" if the user searches for "mens golf shoe" he would get one page, but if he searched for "mens running shoe" he would get another. To do this there is a Http Code: 302 then a Http Code: 200.

Is this something adwords would have a problem with?

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: phrase keywords sent to different landing pages, is it legal?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello

For example using the phase "mens shoe" if the user searches for "mens golf shoe" he would get one page, but if he searched for "mens running shoe" he would get another.

Automaticaly it's not possible. But you can set destinational URLs at keywords level so if any one search for that particular keyword phrase your desired landing page will open.  In order to do this click on keywords tab and then click on Columns and then click on Attributes, click add on destination URL and the click on apply.

Dinesh
My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi 4554,

I would like to clear you one thing here:

If your keyword in phrase "mens shoe" search query "mens golf shoe" will not be triggered.

For Phrase keyword "mens shoe"

Ads may show on searches for

buy mens shoe
black mens shoe

Ads won't show on searches for

buy mens golf shoe
mens black shoe

Google Help Center says:

Phrase match: With phrase match, your ad can show when someone searches for your exact keyword, or your exact keyword with additional words before or after it. We'll also show your ad when someone searches for close variants of that exact keyword, or with additional words before or after it. Close variants include misspellings, singular and plural forms, acronyms, stemmings (such as floor and flooring), abbreviations, and accents. Using phrase match can help you reach more customers, while still giving you more precise targeting. In other words, your keywords are less likely to show ads to customers searching for terms that aren't related to your product or service.

You can use Exact match keyword [mens golf shoe] or Phrase match keyword "mens golf shoe" and then can use keyword level destination url as stated by Dinesh!

Hope it helps!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi To answer your question about Http response 

301 or 302 both are fine with adwords as long as 

1. display URL and final destination URL are on the same domain

2. Id they are both on same domain then you can allow up to 5 redirects 

3. I dont have a logical reason but 301 has always worked best for me so if you can do 301 it would be great

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My examples were not very good. What if my phrase was "magazine subscription" There are hundreds of possible titles such as "tv guide magazine subscription"  I'm not sure what the 5 redirects means, but would this example break that rule?

Thanks

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

About the redirects: your your destination URL is abc.com/index.php your destination url is abc.com/index.php 1st server side redirect to /index1.php 2nd to index2.php and so on this way you can have up to 5 redirects

About your other querry are you trying to create dynamic destination urls based on keywords? if yes then please use value track and {copy:[name]} parameter in the same. 

Not sure this is what you want though

Hope this helps

Regards, Nik

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, create dynamic destination urls based on keywords, is what I'm doing with php.

I just don't what to break any rules.

So I should add ?{copy:[name]}  to the destination or should it be ?{copy:keyword} or something else?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee

Using redirects won't break any adwords rules and get your ads disapproved, as long as the page the user finally ends up on has the same domain as the ads' Visible URL.  The one thing you need to watch out for is performance.  If there are so many redirects that users notice a delay in loading the final page, then you might end up with a lower quality score, which means you'll need to have higher bids to achieve the same rank in the auction.

I don't know much about the value track feature so I can't help there.

One alternative approach to value track would be to use a custom destination URL for each of the keywords in your campaign.  That way users will get taken directly to the page that's most appropriate for that keyword.

I don't really understand how PHP comes into the picture; all I have to say there is <shudder>, and I hope you're being really careful about keeping up with all the latest security patches.  See this rant about php for the background to that.

Laura

Top Contributor Alumni
# 9
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi 

@4554 I will write a more detailed post about value track this weekend when i have more time

@Laura: Honestly I am personally sick of PHP bashing articles and JAVA and Python developers who write these. If google employee is discouraging people from using PHP in official forum I wonder why google just doesnt stop creating PHP api liabraries for all their products?

Regards, Nik

Google Employee
# 10
Google Employee

Hi theniks,

My PHP bashing is my personal opinion, not Google's.  Having said that, I don't know any engineers here who have good things to say about it.  But I do have a friend from college (with a PhD in solid state physics no less) doing PHP / Drupal for a living.  He makes a living at it, but sometimes has to hold his nose and just do the work.

But still, did you read the example in that link I posted where they had code like this?

int foo = < length of a string >

if (foo > INT_MAX) { do something }

Facepalm

So they 'fixed' it by turning "foo" into a floating-point number.  Double facepalm.

Laura