AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

number of ad displays per month

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm preparing an ad campaign and am using numbers from the adwords keyword tool. If a word/phrase is searched for, say, 500,000 times per month will my ad actually display 500,000 times that month for that word/phrase (if I've authorized that much money to be spent)? Or is there some policy I'm unaware of which would limit the number of displays?

Also, when an ad is submitted for approval is it a human that examines the ad or an automated process?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: number of ad displays per month

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Wicksteed,

In case the word/phrase is searched for 500,000 times per month there is a theoretical chance that the ad will be displayed each and every time provided the daily budget and the bid are both high enough. That's when we say that the Impression Share is 100%. In practice, however, it's a very rare scenario, for various reasons.

By default, ads are revised by algorithms, human revision is the exception which is implemented in cases where special reasons for human intervention apply.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi,

> I'm preparing an ad campaign and am using numbers from the adwords keyword tool.

> If a word/phrase is searched for, say, 500,000 times per month will my ad actually

> display 500,000 times that month for that word/phrase (if I've authorized that much

> money to be spent)? Or is there some policy I'm unaware of which would limit the number of displays?

A bit of both.  If your budget is high enough, your ad will be entered into every AdWords auction where the query matches your keywords.  However, the ad will be displayed only if you rank high enough in the auction to get a spot on the results page.  Your ad's rank is your bid multplied by its quality score, which is in turn made up from site quality, historical click-through rate, and a bunch of other factors.  If you end up with a low quality score, you'll have to have both a high bid and a high budget to get the ad displayed for all queries.

There are various policies that can interfere with this.  If your ad or site is disapproved, then it won't show at all, obviously.  If your quality score is low enough, I believe that can cause your ad to be shown less often.  If your landing page is on a low-quality site, the ad will be shown less often.  There are probably more that I'm not thinking of.

> When an ad is submitted for approval is it a human that examines the ad or an automated process?

Either or both.  Automated systems make the majority of the decisions, but some are made by humans: ones the systems aren't sure about, some ads we review manually as a sanity check on the automated systems, etc.  The same goes for landing page reviews.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

Oh, one more thing: you should be aware that the numbers provided by the keyword tool are estimates.  Don't expect them to be extremely accurate.

Laura

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

edit: in reply to Lakatos

edit:Well, I think Laura's post provided an answer to this.

OK thanks. Is there any way I can guess at what the Impression Share will be beforehand? What if there are few or no competing ads, for example. Is there a rough average Impression Share percent or ball park number?

Thanks again.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Laura wrote:

Hi,

> I'm preparing an ad campaign and am using numbers from the adwords keyword tool.

> If a word/phrase is searched for, say, 500,000 times per month will my ad actually

> display 500,000 times that month for that word/phrase (if I've authorized that much

> money to be spent)? Or is there some policy I'm unaware of which would limit the number of displays?

A bit of both.  If your budget is high enough, your ad will be entered into every AdWords auction where the query matches your keywords.  However, the ad will be displayed only if you rank high enough in the auction to get a spot on the results page.  Your ad's rank is your bid multplied by its quality score, which is in turn made up from site quality, historical click-through rate, and a bunch of other factors.  If you end up with a low quality score, you'll have to have both a high bid and a high budget to get the ad displayed for all queries.

There are various policies that can interfere with this.  If your ad or site is disapproved, then it won't show at all, obviously.  If your quality score is low enough, I believe that can cause your ad to be shown less often.  If your landing page is on a low-quality site, the ad will be shown less often.  There are probably more that I'm not thinking of.

> When an ad is submitted for approval is it a human that examines the ad or an automated process?

Either or both.  Automated systems make the majority of the decisions, but some are made by humans: ones the systems aren't sure about, some ads we review manually as a sanity check on the automated systems, etc.  The same goes for landing page reviews.

Laura

AdWords review engineer

Alright, I've gotten a lot of help today.

Do you have any ballpark number for the Impression Share % I could expect for ad quality that is, for example, average and if my bid and budget were high enough?

When you say the Impression Share % may be lower than 100% due to low quality score do you mean it could be 90% or 10%? Or do I just have to find out and see?

Google Employee
# 7
Google Employee

When you say the Impression Share % may be lower than 100% due to low quality score do you mean it could be 90% or 10%? Or do I just have to find out and see?

That's one of those "Try it and see" things.  I don't know the real numbers for that myself, and if I did I'm not sure I'd be able to share them in public.  I'm guessing it depends on just how low the quality score is.

Laura