AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

my website blocked for being weapon, competition is not!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Attention Google.

My website  is a long running website, we make old fashioned wooden english longbows by hand, we have used adwords to market and be on a fair playing field with our competitors.

We have recently, after many years of being a customer and relying on google adwords been taken down and flagged as "weapons"

My problem is after calling google for over an hour, they have decided this is not a mistake. My problem is i have invested much time and money to make this ad. At present a search of "longbows" bring in dozens of my competitors websites that have bows for sale,

These other companies have an unfair advantage.  there is a long list of google adwords customers selling wooden handmade bows and using adwords, there is also more importantly and unfairly Walmart, Amazon and Ebay having their adwords for archery bows running, this gives all my competitors a huge advantage that is unfair and bias.

I have had help with adwords to set up these keywords and the adwords software is still suggesting terms such as "longbows for sale. I wish you would reconsider a harmless wooden stick that bends as a weapon, but in the meantime i will be satisfied to see all the websites with identical situations  as coming up for anything to do with archery in adwords and clicking and landing on an archery product for sale such as a bow, removed. In the meantime i am losing money by the minute because of your unclear policy that has become bias toward my company for unknown reasons.

Thanks for your attention.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: my website blocked for being weapon, competition is not!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Pj W;

This topic has been discussed extensively (in a discussion which extends to 10 pages) and  received a reply from Google;

Please read;

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Google-adwords-unfair-weapons-policy/td-p...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes i looked at it and replied to it : This is absolutely ridiculous ! I make wooden longbows by hand ! they are just a wooden stick with a string and are barely even considered sporting goods now a days let alone a freaking weapon! when i type in longbows i get dozens of adwords ads that have bows and arrows in the title and when you click you see bows ! walmart, ebay amazon and also outdoor gear shops and smaller shops. This gives those shops a huge advantage and puts me out of business. I have spoken to a lawyer who also suggests this violates Canadian laws to be so bias, if your in Canada please contact the CBC as they may run a feature on it, contact me and consider a class action suit. This is all that will work. Google adwords staff have HELP ME SET THIS AD UP, i spent money on a designer to help me target keywords, and inside of google adwords it suggest still these "banned" good terms. I make wooden old fashioned longbows and teach people to make them, this is an absolute disgrace is google really so ignorant to not consider this is a freaking high school or boy scout sport, not a warfare item, and that they are letting the big box store CRUSH us and devalue us and pretty much ruin us. This is not fair google, this is an outrage !

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
As you can see from reading this thread.
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Ad-Approval-Policy/Google-adwords-unfair-weapons-policy/td-p...

This has been going on for a long time. We've all complained about the double standard yet nothing gets done about it. I think it's time we all start contacting the FTC.gov over this issue.