AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

is "the best {competitor name} alternative" allowed?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

A competitor is bidding on my client's brand name and in the ad text, they've mentioned "the best {my client's name} alternative". Is this allowed? The reason why I'm asking is because they've mentioned there product as an alternative which is what makes me think we wouldn't be able to complain against them. is this true?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rashed k
September 2015

Re: is "the best {competitor name} alternative" allo

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Rashed,

First, I would familiarize yourself with the policies for the specific region in question here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118#adtext

If your client has an actual trademark, you can register it with Google and they will then enforce that against any ad copy showing that particular trademark.

Find out more here: https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/2562124?hl=en

Bidding on a keyword, regardless of trademark or not, is not something Google will investigate.

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply PPCBossman but my question isn't whether someone can bid on a competitor's keywords. It's whether they can mention a competitor in their ad text - something like the following: "the {competitor name} alternative". An example of this would be if Pepsi's PPC ad text included "The Coca Cola Alternative". Would this be allowed?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Oh I've just realised that you have actually answered my question. Thanks Smiley Happy.