AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

help understanding these adwords guidelines?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi there.

I was speaking with an adwrods rep today... she was mentioning stuff about "guaranteed statements" in your website and pages... and how we need to remove all of this to get the site approved.

can anyone shed light on this or maybe elaborate for me?

I'm not 100% clear on this.

I've clicked through a LOT of ads today and seeing TONS and TONS of sites making what she considered "guaranteed statements"...  

for example... on one of my landing pages the copy said" The tip on the next page will allow you to..."

she said it can't say that. it would need to be tweaked to "the top on the next page MAY help you..."

but then in the misrepresentation page google adwords has it even says :

If you guarantee certain results, have a clear and easily accessible refund (money-back) policy.

which I do have.

just looking for some answers... it seems contradicting and I want to make sure I do things the right way... but at the same time if you remove all the copy, you aren't going to sell anything. :-(

3 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

All claims must be supported. If this is a price, then the price must be guaranteed. If this is a result using the service promoted, then  you must provide  scientific, measurable  evidence to prove the claim.  Claims that are unreal, based on common acceptable practices and science (e.g  "losing 10 pounds in 10 days"  or "become instantly rich and happy"...)  - are not allowed.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Dave,

Google dislikes guarantees, especially in the health sector, and especially combined with a time, like "in just 4 weeks". This is a common issue, and the remedy is always to reword the site. If this can affect your sales from other channels, consider a different site just for AdWords purposes.

Although it may seem totally reasonable to offer a money-back guarantee if the results aren't achieved, Google sees it more as a way of falsely claiming that the product/service will always work.

The guarantee wording will be discovered by bots, and then checked by humans. Depending on the human, their opinion on whether a site passes guidelines can vary. So you may see sites running ads that have wording similar to yours. Google never accepts "but this other advertiser is doing it" as a reason why you can. 

Note: the above is my opinion only, and I have dealt with many of these disapprovals. Google deliberately keeps their guidelines minimal and they are open to interpretation, so there is no official specific answer in their help files.

Re: help understanding these adwords guidelines?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi guys... my stuff isn't in weight loss... for this particular site, we sell an information product that teaches men how to meet women using online dating sites. (we have a woman's brand as well).

we do offer the guarantee on all of our products... its clearly stated in the video that sells the product and in one of the footer links. but from what I was told thats not the issue.

when I was on the phone with the adwords rep.... she was saying all testimonials have to have an * next to them in the beginning to correspond to the * in the footer which has the disclaimer. 

thats one thing... not a big deal, however 9 out of the 10 sites I saw after speaking with her from clicking adwords ads in various verticals didn't have this.

Many *were* making "claims" about results.

So its highly contradictory... you're getting one bit of information, then you see everything else running on there is different. so its very confusing. 

@RobSkelton thank you... yeah i can see its very minimal and open to interpretation (probably on purpose).... it seems like each rep we've spoken to has a different opinion of these rules and whatnot. The first rep told my adwords guy to respect their time and they don't have all the time to keep going thru the site to tell us whats wrong.... meanwhile they tell us 1 issue... we fix it, then they come back with another one... and another.... its like just tell us a LIST of whats wrong so we can just get it all fixed!  (really rude and obnoxious messages from the rep)

Is there a team in the US we can speak to?

seems like we were speaking to someone in india... not that I mind but I think the culture is a bit different and they might not seem to "get" what we're explaining and the product and whatnot.

@MosheTLV hi there moshe... shalom Smiley Happy   but here's a question for you... If I believe that if they use the product they will see results... thats my opinion as someone who created the program.... obviously I can't guarantee any results... because we don't know how the person will implement what we are teaching... or if they are lazy etc. but so I'm clear... in this case its a dating program.... this program will show you how to use dating sites to meet women online.

are you saying you can't even say that? (just so I'm understanding you)

if I'm selling sneakers... like basketball sneakers... you're able to say they are the most comfortable ... but isn't that also considered a "guaranteed statement"??

it seems like for physical products, you're able to make these statements for digital products you can't or something.  

I searched for diabetes cure. 

one of the pages from adwords has this ON the landing page:

DIABETES REVERSAL
NOW YOU CAN HALT THE PROGRESSION OR REVERSE THE DISEASE ALTOGETHER!

Isn't that considered a "guarantee statement""????

how does this kind of stuff run, but they are "nitpicking" on my site? I'm confused by this because from what I was told this kind of stuff shouldn't be allowed.

Ultimately we are selling a course that is designed to get the user better results than they are getting on their own.  So i'm trying to figure out how to make sure its all compliant.... but at the same time if you remove all the copywriting, you're left with something that can't turn the adwords clicks into cash.

thx Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

(1) typically, most all "will" or similar guarantee-related statements
must be changed to "may" or similar, usually with a clear disclaimer,
to help avoid violating the misrepresentation or similar policies.

misrepresentation may also refer to missing information,
unclear services or products, any misleading content --
including any claims, competitive comparisons, mismatch
between an ad and landing-page details, any unclear
statements in the ad or on the landing-page/website,
or any ads, business-models, or business-practices, that
google decides is not a positive experience for its users.

(2) generally, google compares a potential violation against the policies --
not against other advertisers, nor other advertisements, nor other websites.

(3) seeing an active ad does not, at all, indicate that a person
on the policy-teams has reviewed the ad or website or that the
advertisement, landing-page, or site meets all current policies --
potential policy violations by others may be reported directly
to google and google usually requires an aclk ad-click url for
a proper investigation.

mentioning other ads or sites will usually not effect the policy-team's decision.

that said, this is mainly a peer-to-peer forum -- forum-members can mainly

offer suggestions and possibilities based on the information posted here in
the public forum; forum-members do not have access to account histories,

ad history, or business/site details, usually required for a proper assessment.

google is the final arbiter of all policies.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Celebird  thank you so much for the reply....  the WILL into MAY comment is very very helpful... thats what I needed to hear because now that gives me something to use when going through the site and copywriting on there.... appreciate that.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Dave M;

I can say, based on  my own experience, that I worked (in the past) very hard with clients  who promoted "life style" services, in order to reinstate the accounts. The key is to soften the language (which on the other hand, made the ad-copy / message  less attractive) and include disclaimers in the relevant places.

Having said that: the key is what was the section of the policy that was found in violation?  The approach to be taken depends on the section violated.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV thank you so much for the reply... I think the previous reply helped a lot to understand changing stuff from "WILL" into "MAY"... so its not what google told me is a "guaranteed statement"... that plus having the disclaimers on the page and possibly in the video where there are testimonials (I added the disclaimer to the footer of the page AND under the testimonials that are IN the video just to be safe)

not sure exactly WHAT the issue was because each time we fixed something, they would tell us something else was wrong... first it was the homepage (it was a short page to collect emails with no content) I knew that was an issue, so I replaced it with a real homepage, linking to blog articles and lots of content.

Then they said the blog/reviews page was an issue... so I added the disclaimers there as well...

then they said some stuff in the video was an issue.... etc.

right now, I think its the "guaranteed statements" in the offer pages... so i'm working through changing that.

its been 1 thing after another. Which is ok... but it would be MUCH MUCH easier to get a list of whats wrong so we can just fix it, instead, they are giving us 1 thing at a time... which is causing more work/time for them, plus its taking forever going back and forth.

so far the best solution I've come up with is to make a NEW site, like 5 or so pages JUST for running adwords... because my site now has several hundred and they go through the entire site to see where these statements are made.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Dave M;

Setting / constructing a new site will NOT resolve the issue. Akey in Google's Policy is that the initial violation has to be fixed before reinstating the account. The current site must be fixed.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@MosheTLV... the account isn't banned or anything, they just want some things fixed before approving the ads. I should make that clear... after speaking with them on the phone, they indicated since the site has so much content (hundreds of blog posts etc) that it might be easier for me to make a brand new site JUST for adwords where I can control the content a bit easier with the "guaranteed statements" and the disclaimers...

the "guaranteed statements" so far have been the big issue... but I think i'm pretty clear on this now. I'm expecting a call from a supervisor from adwords today, so we'll see what they say to clarify things....

appreciate your help my friend. shabbat shalom Smiley Happy