AdWords
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

display URL too long when using DKI

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Anyone have this issue? It clearly shows that I have 11 more characters.

When adding DKI to the display URL I get a warning that prevents me from using the GUI for creating ads. Now I have to go to Editor to create my duplicated ads.

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 5.17.36 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: display URL too long when using DKI

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
The display URL is limited to 35 characters.
https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6021630?hl=en
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Moshe, please read post before answering.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Matt,

I tried duplicating your issue and here is my conclusion.

At first I had a too long keyword in the insertion and the character count showed me a minus 5 , and while hitting the "preview button" I got what you see "URL is too long". So this message of "URL is too long was indeed justified at first when the character count was negative.

Then I made the keyword insertion shorter , but even if the character count became positive, and it should have allowed me to save the replaced Ad, the preview button returned the same message "URL is too long".

So this is just a system bug, the replace workflow does not recognize the shorter Display URL to save your Ad and keeps returning the "URL is too long" message.

So my guess is that at first you have a too long Display URL ( including the keyword insertion) , you have hit the preview button, made it shorter and now it is not allowing you to save the replaced ads even if the Display URL is short enough.

I think you should cancel the replace operation and give it another try, this time using the short Display URL from the start, to avoid this error.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello again Matt;

I did read your question, Furthermore,I  checked in one of my old campaigns in which DKI was used extensively in the diaply URL.

I should have added, though, that with DKI I ignore the "countdown". Sometimes  you could add more than 35 characters,  or it could happen that there are "unseen" characters the system counts. (Especially when  copy / paste).  - I don't have an explanation for this "behavior".  (You know, Adwords is a huge system. Though Google is strict and organized when  designing the UI workflow - yet, it is not perfect... Smiley Surprised )

I keep the display URL within the 35 characters.   If an error is shown,  I delete  the whole URL line and retype the URL. (On the keyboard - not copy / paste). 

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matt M
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I spoke to AdWords in Twitter, and they said this was a bug.

If you use DKI in the Display URL, do not use the "Change Ads" option, just make a new ad and the problem will not be there.