AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

clients under the same university using same keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I work for an ad agency that specializes in Higher Education. We have several programs under the health umbrella from the same university. The programs uses similar/same keywords but are on different subdomains; is this considered double serving or could we get penalized for it?

Thanks in advance.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: clients under the same university using same keywords

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner
Hello Aramatf,

as long as you won't be promoting the same content on the website then it is not considered as double serving. You will get penalized, because your keywords are the same for more campaings and therfore will compete with each other.

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Alex,
So is there away around this?

For example: If we advertise for the College of Engineering for a university they may have upward of thirty different special tracks (aerospace engineering, electrical and computer engineering, civil engineering and so forth). We cannot make a separate site that host all the different programs cause we're not authorized to do so but we want to advertise to the main keyword "masters in engineering" on all the campaigns. --> we could get penalized cause we are using the same keywords even if they are all under a different Adwords account?

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Well you will get "penalized" in the sense that one keyword will always win over another from your other account. Therefor one keyword will get better stats each time these two keywords will be in the same auction and other one will get worse stats.

I guess the best way to go around is: stay on one account. Lead people who search for masters in engineering to the landing page with information about engineering masters information + choices and then another landing page for each engineering masters route with appropriate keywords. There you can lead people exactly where they want/they are searching for.

Alex

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Once I replied to you, I thought of the same solutions and discussed it with our Director of Web Services. We're putting this on the discussion board with the University in hope to move forward.

Again, thanks!
Tamara

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
Glad I could help Tamara! Good luck with your Adwords campaigns.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Let's clear a few issues here:

Promoting different programs  using different campaigns under the same account is not  "gaining unfair advantage" (the new name for the  double serving) since only one ad will be shown per account;

If you use different accounts - each for different program - this is a violation, since you target the same audience, promoting  the same service (e.g. Master degree program), using different accounts.

However; if you use  the same keyword (e.g. "Master degree program") in different campaigns, then they will compete, and only one ad will be shown. (Which is shown - is a different  discussion, a whole new ball game...)), - Thus avoid similar keywords in different campaigns, or in different ad-groups.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’