AdWords
5.3K members online now
5.3K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

can a company use my trademark in it's ad, if they are my competitor?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: can a company use my trademark in it's ad, if they are my competit

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi there,

If a trademark owner files a complaint with Google about the use of their trademark Google will investigate and may restrict the use of a trademark within ad text. Ads using restricted trademarks in their ad text may not be allowed to run. This policy applies worldwide.Also there are some exceptions.

In case of Keywords Google will not investigate or restrict the use of trademark terms in keywords, even if a trademark complaint is received.

Find more help here https://support.google.com/adwordspolicy/answer/6118?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you, Shuva!

I have a question - if my trademark is registered in Benelux, but is used by another company on UK goodle domain (i.e. google.co.uk), is it allowed? or I can still fill the complaint and Google will remove my trademark from that company ad text?

Thanks,
Alena

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Aneha I think you can still file your complaint (why not, it's worth a try), but you might not have much ground to insist on if your company does not exist / is not registered in a different country.

All that legal stuff is way over my head anyway. If you are concerned about the use of your trademark in other ads by other people, by all means you should file your complaint.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+