AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Understand Google's advertising policies, including ad approval status and account suspension
Guide Me
star_border

adwords brand protection

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good evening,

Is there a list of that Google has that shows you which brands or names you are not allowed to use to advertise? For instance, would I be allowed to advertise a store selling Harry Potter items?

2 Expert replyverified_user

adwords brand protection

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Nope. The list is quite dynamic, and basically is identical  to the list publicly available on the US trademark office;

https://www.uspto.gov/

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

adwords brand protection

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Sunny,

Google doesn't provide a list, so all you can do is write an ad and see what happens. Although ads can be disapproved, your account won't be in jeopardy if there is no way of knowing in advance. You can then write ads without the brand mentioned in them, although this would typically affect CTR negatively.

Doing a search for the product can give you clues - no ads, no ads with the trademark in the ad copy or only ads from the brand themselves suggests you can't us that trademark in ad copy. 

adwords brand protection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks MosheTLV

adwords brand protection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I see, thanks a lot Rob!

adwords brand protection

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I can confirm my ad is all up and running. problem was Google thought my site was a parked domain which it wasn't. I resubmitted my site for review and the parked domain  violaion got lifted. Google also phoned me to confirm this problem. Thanks for all your help guys much appreciated.